Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

Help us make Visio more Awesome!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create a native Mac OS X version

Create a native Mac OS X version

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add "Save As Picture" to the right-click context menu (same as PowerPoint)

It would be really convenient to be able to highlight a selection or group, right-click and launch the "Save As Picture" dialog immediately - similar to the same menu item in PowerPoint.

Quite often, I use Visio to quickly draft together a couple of shapes to use as an element in another application, and this would save 1-2 clicks over File > Save As > Select File format", and make the "Focused select & save" use-case a little bit more pronounced for new Visio users.

Thanks!
    Brad

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Hyperlink selection more user-friendly

When creating Hyperlinks within a Visio document, the Sub-address selection dialog is horribly unusable.
    Specifically, the Page dropdown shows only five pages, meaning that its scrollbar handle is over 50% of the height of the scrollbar itself once up/down buttons are accounted for. As such, the handle is utterly useless. (Especially when there are dozens of pages in the document.) Please make this dropdown taller, so that selecting the appropriate page is not such a chore.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Update Printer Defaults

The Print dialogue always reverts back to the default "Print Entire Document" setting even when switching between sheets in the same documents. Depending on the scale of individual sheets and the number of them this can result in DOZENS of sheets being sent to the printer. Why can't there be an option where the user can set the default print option? "Current Page Only" is far more useful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make the texts in the image box editable

When users use images for eg dialog form it automatically show the dates as the current date. But if images are coming with texts, they should be editable. Users should be able to edit these texts otherwise it doesn't even make sense. Also for the webpage wireframes the users do not have a lot of options of icons.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Ability to set default for all new drawings

I would like to be able to set all the defaults like having the grid on, connection points on, no arrows on connectors ect so when I create a new visio drawing these are already set and set for everyone in the company.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. renaming a page

When I rename a page Visio move the diagram in the left bottom corner of the page. This is a very annoying "feature".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add "Delete Pages" to the default ribbon

Have you ever wondering why removing page is so complicated, especially when you need to remove 10+ pages. Right click, delete, wait, right click, delete, wait...

But if you go to customize ribbon, there is a command "Delete Pages..." AVAILABLE! But definately it is well hidden!

Bring it visibile !!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow to search within shape just by typing

When opening stencils with large number of shapes (e.g. Microsoft Azure, Cloud and Enterprise Symbol) it is very difficult to find the shape by scrolling up and down within the narrow confines of the open shape pane.

It would be helpful if there was a simple way to search within the shape pane. Perhaps by just start to type after clicking on the pane and the search term highlights the shape name and focus shifts. This is like incremental search in many editors. Another way may be a small search box after the horizontal separator line for 'Drop Quick Shapes…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Modernize Computers and Monitors, Network and Peripherals shapes to a new group called Information Technology shapes

Modernize Computers and Monitors, Network and Peripherals shapes to a new group called Information Technology shapes. Modernize the shapes and include more graphically enhanced shapes for IT related equipment. Flyout menus to change the colors of said shapes quickly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Hold spacebar to move drawing around canvas with mouse.

Similar to other products on the market to help "standardize" certain shortcuts to do tasks. For this one, holding spacebar change mouse icon to a hand and allow user to move the drawing around on the canvas.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow separate windows for the same source document

For multi-monitor setups allowing child windows to be separated from the single host app window would be extremely useful, as per Excel: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2013/02/07/open-excel-workbooks-in-separate-windows-and-view-them-side-by-side/, or, ideally, using Visual Studio's tear off windows, out of the main app into some spare screen space.

Although you can stretch the app window across multiple monitors the break between two monitors never sits in the right place (ie the break between two child windows) and so you end up using a single monitor.

In Visio, it's common to have multiple ShapeSheet windows open at once, either displaying master and instance, or one for each…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Incremetal search within shape pane windows

When opening stencils with large number of shapes (e.g. Microsoft Azure, Cloud and Enterprise Symbol) it is very difficult to find the shape by scrolling up and down within the narrow confines of the open shape pane.

It would be helpful if there was a simple way to search within the shape pane. Perhaps by just start to type after clicking on the pane and the search term highlights the shape name and focus shifts. This is like incremental search in many editors. Another way may be a small search box after the horizontal separator line for 'Drop Quick Shapes…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Able to choose the grid colors

1) Able to choose the grid color. Shades of gray or other user's color choices.

2) Grid with more shades help to pin point a grid section when working with multiples SCALES such as inches, feet and others scales.

3) In Visio version #1 released in 1992 their was a dynamic green cross that moved in sync with the cursor allowing comparing a pair of two values with the grid.. Need more reasearch about that...

Thanks so much!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Dynamic grid functionality is missing if we open Visio via RDP session (W10 OS + Visio 2013/2016 any version). Reprosteps

Dynamic grid functionality is missing if we open Visio via RDP session (W10 OS + Visio 2013/2016 any version). Reprosteps:

1.-Take 2 machines and do an RDP session from machine A to machine B (Visio 2013/2016 needs to be installed on machine B)
    2.-Open Visio 2013/2016 after establishing the RDP session.
    3.-Make sure that the “Dynamic grid” functionality is not turned off (It should be enabled by default).
    4.-Try to check if the mentioned funcionaly works by adding more than one shape on any drawing.

Actual result: Dynamic grid is not working.
    Expected result: Dynamic grid should be working.
    Workaround:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please make Visio use the same colour palettes as PowerPoint, Word etc

Please make the Vision shape palettes use the same colour themes, gradients and effects as PowerPoint, Word etc.

The current implementation of Visio 2016 has a very different look and feel to all other MS Office tools for the way that the colours and gradients default, which is very disconcerting and makes it hard to apply enterprise colour guidelines consistently.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Invert a layer's visibility

Right now, we can add shapes to multiple layers. We can check the Visible box in the Layer Properties dialog to make all shapes on the #layer visible. However, we can't perform the inverse -- that is, we can't instruct Visio to hide everything on a layer.

The result of this is that if I want to hide a shape, I have to hide EVERY layer assigned to it. I should be able to say "make everything NOT on this layer visible"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support more than one text block per shape OR CONNECTOR

Visio should natively support more than one text block per shape OR CONNECTOR.

Database ER connectors are a natural for this; I can imagine an overall "relationship" text block somewhere in the middle, with text blocks at either end as well. (A secondary issue with connectors is that some of the specialized built-in connectors don't accept modifications, such as line width, gracefully, so I end up using "regular" connectors).

In shapes with distinct areas (i.e. that have one or more lines crossing the shape) it makes sense to have a text "title" in the upper region and a "description" or…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Fix the way text is selected. I want to start the selection where I click not where my cursor is.

Currently the text selection starts at my cursor location and ends where I click highlighting everything in between. This is the ONLY product that has this behavior. Make it so my selection starts where I click and hold down my left mouse and ends where I move to and release left mouse.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make fullscreen mode useful

Visio is great, no doubts about this. However, I'm surprised (even amazed!) how poorly supported is full screen mode, for both work and presentations. There is a Presentation Mode (Visio 2016) available, but due to the lack of Pan&Zoom support it's pretty much useless I'm afraid :( Also, I wish I could work with block diagrams in Full Screen mode with only relevant Panes (e.g. shapes) when using my laptop, where every inch of display area is absolutely critical. Are there any plans to address these concerns? These day's I'm forced to print out my diagrams into PDFs for full…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base