Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow a user to set more default options such as connector thickness, color, and fonts + ability to select all "like" objects to format.

Allow a user to set more default options such as connector thickness, color, and fonts. Plus the ability to select all "like" objects for formatting purposes. Formatting seems to be one of the biggest bottlenecks and time wasters.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Change object size with keyboard shortcut

Be able to change the size of an Object with a keystroke. Some software uses Shift+Arrow, but this is already used in Visio. Choose a shortcut, and we will get used to it!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Quick Parts for Reusing Custom Styles

Currently, when I define a custom style, it does not become part of the Visio program itself, but rather part of the drawing file in which I defined the style.

Instead of saving the drawing as a Visio template or manually copying custom styles from one visio file to another, can Quick Parts be made available (currently in Microsoft Word) where I can save the custom style I created to a Quick Part gallery so it's always reusable in Visio, regardless of the file I have open.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Support multidimensional drawings

I frequently use Visio to create architecture diagrams for computer systems. These diagrams often have multiple levels to them and it would be helpful for Visio to represent these. For example, I'll often use a cloud shape to represent Azure or AWS and then I put shapes within it to represent services they're running. The problem is that this often leads to a busy drawing that's difficult to consume.

It would be helpful to be able to zoom in to the cloud shape and place the shapes for services within it, similar to how one can zoom in and out…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Open separate document in new Visio window / instance

When I open a new file (using File menu), open a new Visio window/instance, like Excel, Word etc, rather than open the new document in a new window within the same instance, meaning I need to use the View window to switch between documents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Include on ribbon the boolean operations, i.e. union, intersect, combine etc. It's a nuisance to do manually, prob. since Visio 2010.

Include on ribbon the boolean operations, i.e. union, intersect, combine etc. It's a nuisance to do manually, prob. since Visio 2010.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow users to pan using "wasd"

When moving shapes around on a large visio document, it is preferable to use mouse and keyboard. In addition to existing shortcuts allowing users to use shift or ctrl with the mouse scroll buttons, include toggles for using "wasd" keys to pan, so the user doesn't need to move their hand to the arrow keys.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add support for tables

Tables would be great for adding in lots of configuration data of resources to tidy up a mixed HLD LLD architecture diagram

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add Overline to the text

It is possible to underline or strike through, why not overline?
    It is possible to do this in Word, but the text can not be copied to Visio except by taking a picture.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow zoom in shapes pane

On high res monitors the shapes are very small. Either use DPI settings or let users zoom the shapes pane.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Photorealistic Shapes

It would be more attractive in the software to update the photorealistic icon shapes, so the diagrams have a relevant and professional visual impact, similar to how it does ConceptDraw DIAGRAM.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Update printing to fill as much paper space as possible (multipage too)

As visio user I want to be able to print my diagrams over several pages with maximum magnification.
    Current state: Now it's time consuming operation to move diagram and check magnification and move print check again.
    Expected: I specify how many pages I could give for printing and visio automatically adjust zoom, paper orientation, diagram position, may be diagram rotation and slight reordering to make prints looks better.

Explanation:
    Orientation - Some diagrams looks better on horizontal page orientation, some on vertical.
    Zoom level: Now zoom function is unified and very simple. But for better printing (and may be layout)…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add A Lock/Unlock toggle to the Right Click menu to lock shapes within a layer.

Often when working with shapes that reside within or overlapping other shapes, when selecting a shape, especially selecting multiple shapes (shift-click), or copying a shape (ctrl-click), the underlaying shape gets selected also.

If I'm lucky, after several attempts, I can select the shapes I want, but often, I have to assign the background shape to another (new) layer, then lock that layer, and remember to unlock it and remove from the temporary layer when I'm done.

What I am proposing is the ability to lock a shape, by selecting it, right clicking on it, and selecting a Lock/Unlock item from…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Provide an option to change the font size IN the shapesheet windows

The ShapeSheet windows use a tiny font with cells just big enough for that font. That font is very tiny and difficult for my older eyes to see. I would like to be able to resize that font (and the cells) without having to change the screen resolution. Changing the screen resolution would reduce the size of everything else on the screen. I can zoom into my drawing if something is too small. I cannot zoom in for the ShapeSheet windows, and that's the ONE thing that's too small.
    Please provide an option for the user to specify the font…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Existing ideas

Allideasthatpertain

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add right/left arrow buttons at each end of the Page bar, allowing scrolling through the Page tabs.

Having Arrow Buttons at each end of the Page Ribbon, allowing sideways scrolling through pages would be awesome. Often while working on Page A, I need to check something on page Q. So I open the "All box, scroll through the pages, select Q, and check out what I need, copy it, etc. Then to return to page A, I realize that page B is now the first page on the ribbon, so I have to go back to the "All" box, scroll up to A, and Select it.

If I could just "Click" on a "Left" button, or a…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Modernize the Visio icon

Modernize the Visio icon. All the other products have a new look and this makes the Visio icon look dated

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please fix the ARP display data for Project and Visio 365

Please fix the ARP data that is displayed for Project and Visio 365. When installed, it display Visio Professional Plus 2016 instead of indicating that it's a 365 product. Causes some confusion in mixed environments with both Professional Plus 2016 and 365.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Create a native Mac OS X version

Create a native Mac OS X version

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Ability to set default for all new drawings

I would like to be able to set all the defaults like having the grid on, connection points on, no arrows on connectors ect so when I create a new visio drawing these are already set and set for everyone in the company.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base