Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

Help us make Visio more Awesome!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Microsoft Visio 2016 and if..else..then box does not fit the Activity Diagram as I want it to be

In Visio when I choose Activity Diagram (Sent and received Messaging system among) and place if...else..then box, that box doesn't fit the activity diagram as I wanted it to be. So I have to condense all the actors and messages closer or smaller to fit the if..else..then. And it's kind of tedious and a hassle if you have lots of actors and messages at the top. Am I missing something or is this a bug? Last semester I was in Software Design Pattern and Unified Modelling Language course and all the students in my class had this same problem. My…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • generate code from Visio class diagrams

Restore the code generation from UML diagrams and UML creation from code. I'm stunned to find this removed from the latest versions. UML and class diagrams in Visio were good and now are useless. I'm uninstalling Visio to save my company the 200 dollars because, without this feature, Visio is not worth 200 dollars in a development environment.

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Access reverse engineering

As others, I signed the online Visio to draw several ERD from several Access databases; I already have an LucidChart account, but they do not have a reverse engineering for mdb/accdb files.
        So, I tryed the ODBC driver, selected the Access driver mdb/accdb, selected tables and... nothing.
        Error in all tables: Error! Cannot extract column definition for the table/view 'Eventos'. The definition is not available or you may not have sufficient privileges. Please check with your database administrator.
        The accdb is not protected...

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add "Table Report" on database property back to Visio 2016

Hi following this article online and found that it would be very much helpful if we have this functionality in the Visio version of 2016.

_http://www.leerichardson.com/2007/05/export-visio-database-table-names-to.html

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add support for more databases in reverse engineering

Add visio drivers to support more databases in the reverse engineer addin (interested in SAP HANA)

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Visio 2013 backwards compatibility failure.

I am a solutions architecture consultant and have been using Microsoft Visio Premium 2010 since it first came out. In 2013, I recommended to a client of mine to install Microsoft Visio Premium. They installed 2013. I was mortified to find that the advanced support for UML and database modeling was missing. I told my client that they must have installed standard by accident. Because Microsoft would never lose backwards compatibility. I was wrong. They had installed Professional. The feature were discontinued without warning. A Microsoft product that is not backwards compatible. The master class list is critical to creating…

3 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve object selection/ add filtering capabilities in the database reverse engineer addin

Add filtering capabilities based on names (including wildcards), type, schema, ... when selecting the tables to import. Scrolling and clicking individually doesn't work great when dealing with several hundreds / thousands tables/views in the list.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Reverse engineering on database

If it cannot even return the current relationships among the tables, how it could be named as reverse engineering for databases?

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• could you please add fire alarm symbols UKlike smart draw software.

lot of electricians use Vision 2016 for designing fire alarm panel.
                    there should special section for this like smartdraw software company,

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Exporting to SQL Server from visio

Why would you remove the ability to push the design from Visio to SQL Server? I can find tons of free software to create a DB diagram. The one thing I liked about Visio is that I was able to design the DB and then create the database/tables based on the design directly.

I was going to buy Visio 2016, but this reduction has changed my mind completely. I shall keep using the free software to create designs until this functionality is returned to Visio.

Have a good day

4 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• IDEF 1X for database design

After bringing back the reverse engineering capability with a smarter look than the current template let us switch between crow-foot/Chen and IDEF 1X notation in the template for reverse engineering.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• bring back the Re-Layout capability for Crow's foot database notation

The Re-Layout option used to move the entities in a crow's foot database notation template into the shape/sequence selected. This function no longer works with Visio 2013 or 2016. It only alters the positions of the connectors instead of the entities, even if you group the drawing.

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Build a scheduling board for manufacturing

Hello I am a weld department supervisor for a weld shop of 120+ employees. I have searched and searched for scheduling software that is easy to use and can be rearranged on the fly. My line of work is next to impossible to schedule. Reason being I have people, parts, fixtures, booths, and averages to deal with. Sounds pretty complex right? It gets worse! After everything is well thought out...something will Granade it!! Such as a call in, machine or equipment failure, physical limitation from someone getting put on light duty, and so on. I played around longer than I…

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Стандартный набор значков

Для отображения данных в фигурах можно использовать помимо цвета и текста, стандартный набор значков, а почему бы не сделать возможным добавлять свои значки для отображения внешних данных.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Have an objects repository

It would be good to have an objects repository and link objects to shapes so same entities would be able to represent in different views

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base