Visio on Desktop

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow comments to be placed anywhere on the canvas

Comments are currently applied only at the drawing level--this makes it very difficult to add comments in context without applying directly to the drawing as an annotation.
    Comments should be allowed to be placed anywhere on the canvas, like it is in PowerPoint.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to capture what is drawn on a white board or Notebook

So many times in office, we draw a process flow on a drawing board or a notebook, it would be great if there is a feature to take a image of the drawing and visio have the ability to show it as a process flow along with the content. it will take the team to save significant time. Most of the operating model/process flow ideas are first drawn/brainstromed on a white board or a notebook before they go to a visio. I think microsoft should add this feature. it would be great

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. improve floor plans

Editing and creating floor plans with Visio is very difficult when compared to AutoCAD or Revit. Would like the ability to

1. lock walls so they don't move when using "controller dimension" in the Walls, Doors and Windows stencil.

2. Ability to offset guidelines a distance would also help.

3. Join walls like you can with shapes, for example interior walls join abutting exterior walls.

4. set the origin (0,0) on the ruler at a corner of the building

thanks

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. XML or JSON as data sources for SmartDiagrams

The new SmartDiagrams that was shown in Ignite looks very promising and I was wondering if I can use XML or JSON as data sources for the SmartDiagrams ? I know SQL supports XML fully and JSON almost completely, but can I use those with SmartDiagrams and let it parse it ?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Improve embedding inside OneNote

When using the ability to embed Visio diagrams in OneNote (Insert > Diagram), I am constantly encountering these two major problems.

Saving the diagram, either by using the save icon in Visio or by answering "yes" to the question of whether I want to save when closing Visio, results in a dialog box saying "There is a sharing confict. The file cannot be accessed as requested." However, the diagram changes appear to have been saved anyway.

After several edits of diagrams, even though Visio has been closed, closing OneNote results in the dialog box “Close the following files opened outside…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Copy/Move with Base Point feature

Copy/Move with Base Point like as in AutoCAD

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Online store support for Visio shapes, templates, add-ons, add-ins

I was surprised to not see this in the list as every MVP conference I have been to this has been a topic of discussion. Whether for monetization or not, Visio users need a central location to find content for Visio. This includes shapes, stencils, templates, sample diagrams, shared community diagrams, add-ons, add-ins, etc. I would link this with the Apps for Office model but the framework that would support this feature and the framework that would support the Apps for Office feature are probably to different.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Sandeep S responded

Now we have 3rd party partner templates and sample diagram show up in the backstage via template store. We’ve also added a brand new Education category for creating content relevant to schools or for gamifying education. We are working on Visio add-on catalog and a Shape search / discovery / download for the partner content ecosystem.

8. Enable the user to change the default font

There is currently no way to change the default font from Calibri. This can result in style inconsistencies with Visio drawings created with earlier versions that had Ariel as the default. In addition, we have found print issues with Calibri and Adobe Acrobat through a print server. This may be a rare occurrence but it's an example of why the default font should be defined by the user.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Wrap panel layout for List containers

Where List containers currently arrange their children horizontally and vertically, add a third option to allow wrap panel like layout (as per WPF). A User cell could define a max width or max item per row count, after which subsequent items would drop down to the next row.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. templates and tools for BigData analytics

I'm into BigData analytics.
    It would be nice to have some tools organized in a template, to analyse and diagram linked entities beyond the organizational structure or the website map in my favorite application: Visio!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Discovery network.

Visio 2000 enterprise had this function.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Convert font data to outline

Adobe illustralor has this function.
    It is very convenient.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Selection Pane

Excel and PowerPoint have selection panes which enables us selecting multiple objects in various criteria and formatting tame afterwards (for instance formatting sub-process shapes using same criteria in a flow chart). There is a "select" menu, but I think it does not the similar skills as the "selection pane". Therefore, I wish you could consider implementing a similar selection pane.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Formatar forma

Sugiro a correção do campo "Formatar Forma" > "Propriedades de Tamanho", pois está aparecendo a opção de texto alternativo.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add "arrow" styles for commonly used UML and SYSML line adornments.

Add arrow (line end) types for:
    -The filled diamond;
    --The "Celtic Cross" aka "Crosshair"
    --The half arrow (only one side of line)
    --Arrow pointing to box.

These are commonly used lie end symbols in SysML and UML.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. make it easy to change the design template date format from mm-dd to dd-mm

Please make it easy to change the design template date format from mm-dd to dd-mm as the date suddenly appears in the page header when a standard Visio template design is selected. If I search in help for date format - nothing shows up

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Visio Symbol Font List Missing/ Bug

When using Visio 2010. If you select

Insert - Symbol - More Symbols

You are presented with a list window with a list of symbols. You can then change the Font by selecting from the Font drop down list.

HOWEVER, in VISIO 2016, when I perform these same steps. The font drop down list is empty?

This is not the case with Word 2016, Excel 2016, etc

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Hyperlink button bug

When you add or change a hyperlink on an item you have to select the hyperlink button twice before the menu opens. It should open the first time you select the hyperlink button. Visio 2016.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. support arrows that point away from endpoint

All of the arrow ends I've seen in Visio point "towards" the endpoint / shape. I was surprised to see that I couldn't find a simple radio button or similar to set the direction of the endpoint to point AWAY from the endpoint.

When creating a diagram with long connectors it is very useful to have an arrow at the beginning of the connector showing the flow of (data; process; etc.) AWAY from the "source" shape while the arrow at the "destination" shape points TOWARDS that shape.

I've learned to create custom endpoints but this is extremely time-consuming with the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. add shapes for Xbox...

it's a Microsoft product and it's pretty much a computer too!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base