Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support @mentions in visio review comments

Support @mentions in visio review comments

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Change object size with keyboard shortcut

Be able to change the size of an Object with a keystroke. Some software uses Shift+Arrow, but this is already used in Visio. Choose a shortcut, and we will get used to it!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make it possible to select multiple objects/shapes and be able to assign a container to them individually.

I asked the community the following: How can I select multiple shapes in visio and assign a container to each one (the same style of container btw).

So far I can only see the option to select either 1 object and assign it a container or select multiple objects (shapes) and assign them all to one container.

Is it possible?

I'm using visio professional version 1902, using a Surface Pro.

I received a response from a MS contact stating it is not possible and that I should suggest it here.

thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Visio Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make collaborative editing possible (like in Excel, Power Point etc.)

It would be very helpful to collaborate on Visio models in the desktop client like it is possible in Excel, Power Point or Word.
    It would be a huge benefit to look together with colleagues at the same file and see the changes in real-time in my desktop app. A lot of other modelling tools like Miro are a big Step ahead of Visio regarding collaborative work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Quick Parts for Reusing Custom Styles

Currently, when I define a custom style, it does not become part of the Visio program itself, but rather part of the drawing file in which I defined the style.

Instead of saving the drawing as a Visio template or manually copying custom styles from one visio file to another, can Quick Parts be made available (currently in Microsoft Word) where I can save the custom style I created to a Quick Part gallery so it's always reusable in Visio, regardless of the file I have open.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. ShapeSheet search

While in ShapeSheet, allow the user to open a search dialog box via right-click menu or CTRL+F. The search would allow for the parameter name, formula, or Values.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Sorting list containers

Visio containers can be lists. The only suggestion so far on the Visio forums is to copy the list to Word and sort, but what happens if the list is not words but shapes?
    I live List containers because I can easily stack shapes.
    The arrow keys help when I need to reorder.
    Sort by shape name or selected custom property.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. corporate orgcharts

There have bee requests for Corporate Orgcharts. It displays the relationship between companies.
    Point Visio at a description of the organization in Visio and create the chart. Difference to regular orgchart? multiple bosses , showing the percentage ownership of a company for multiple owners.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make Azure and AWS stencils available on Visio desktop

Visio online has updated Azure and AWS stencils, but they are not available for the desktop version.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. allow a part of a grouped Master to avoid being scaled with the rest of the Group

Please fix the bug or oversight that does not allow a part of a grouped Master to avoid being scaled with the rest of the Group

When I "group" any protected shapes with other shapes, their protections are overridden. For example, if the protected shape is in a group, and I scale the group size, the "protected" shape scales. (!!)

This was confirmed by MS here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficevisio-msowin10-mso_o365b/keep-a-shapes-protections-when-shape-is-in-a-group/63ea69f3-3859-40ce-a0ff-ab85be306e1d

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. How about Auto Save!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost all of my work because Microsoft cant even put auto save on their software!!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. auto contour creation

I would like to pick a line or arc and drag it. While I am dragging it, contour line would be created in staggering intervals. so, the person using this would drag a line to the center of what would be cylinder or curved surface and the would see 3 lines or arcs ghost out from the copied line. The interval of the lines would be 1 unit of distance then the 2nd line would be 2 units, the 3rd would be 4 units and there would be 7 units between the last line and the final pick point. The…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Develop for Multi-Core processors

When rendering complex geometries Visio runs terribly. Modern processors are multi-core yet visio doesn't take advantage of the available processor cores nor does it take advantage of the available GPU. Visio could be so much more efficient if it were taking advantage of all of the available resources available to it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow everyone in a Microsoft Teams Channel tab to view Visio diagram

Everyone in a tenant should be able to view a visio diagram that is posted as a Microsoft Teams channel tab (or a Sharepoint page). Currently Plan 1 is required to view diagrams. Plan 1 should be required to edit/participate in a visio diagram, but not view or comment on Visio diagrams.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Auto Save files in SharePoint or One Drive

Please provide the option to Auto Save Visio files when saved in SharePoint or One Drive. (Like every other MS file-type)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Sharepoint Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Open separate document in new Visio window / instance

When I open a new file (using File menu), open a new Visio window/instance, like Excel, Word etc, rather than open the new document in a new window within the same instance, meaning I need to use the View window to switch between documents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Essay

I think that a thesis roadmap and essay design would be a great and much-needed addition to the templates for diagrams.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. visio viewer

“Publish an installable standalone Visio Viewer that does not depend on Active X, web browser or OneDrive. Dependence on
    -OneDrive limits end-user usability
    -Web browser limits resolution and movement around larger documents”

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Visio viewer

Publish an installable Visio Viewer that does not depend on Active X, Edge or OneDrive. Dependence on OneDrive limits customer usability.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix issue with opening links from diagram shapes (Ctrl key/function issue)

Lately, every shape you hover over triggers a pop-up message “Ctrl + Click to follow link”, even though there is not a link associated to a shape.

In the past, when you hovered over a shape, there would be no pop out unless there were actually hyperlinks. You would just need to click on a shape to open a hyperlink (if there was one). Now, in addition to the constant pop-up stated above, users need to click Ctrl to open a link.

We have seen this situation appear and then disappear, which is confusing to end users and an ongoing…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base