Visio on Desktop

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Open separate document in new Visio window / instance

When I open a new file (using File menu), open a new Visio window/instance, like Excel, Word etc, rather than open the new document in a new window within the same instance, meaning I need to use the View window to switch between documents.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Essay

I think that a thesis roadmap and essay design would be a great and much-needed addition to the templates for diagrams.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. visio viewer

“Publish an installable standalone Visio Viewer that does not depend on Active X, web browser or OneDrive. Dependence on
    -OneDrive limits end-user usability
    -Web browser limits resolution and movement around larger documents”

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Visio viewer

Publish an installable Visio Viewer that does not depend on Active X, Edge or OneDrive. Dependence on OneDrive limits customer usability.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix issue with opening links from diagram shapes (Ctrl key/function issue)

Lately, every shape you hover over triggers a pop-up message “Ctrl + Click to follow link”, even though there is not a link associated to a shape.

In the past, when you hovered over a shape, there would be no pop out unless there were actually hyperlinks. You would just need to click on a shape to open a hyperlink (if there was one). Now, in addition to the constant pop-up stated above, users need to click Ctrl to open a link.

We have seen this situation appear and then disappear, which is confusing to end users and an ongoing…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. I suggest you add the ability to set line jump based on line type, not just orientation, Horizontal/Vertical

When drawing process diagrams the line types used have a hierarchy of importance. So when a top level line( a process line) crosses a lower level line( an instrument line) the line jump setting should be able to force the lower level line to always jump the higher level line.
    Currently you can only set to jump vertical lines or jump horizontal lines

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Custom Data Graphic

I would like to create a custom Data graphic that would allow me to choose the style and all of the parameters for the graphic and them save for future use.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow users to pan using "wasd"

When moving shapes around on a large visio document, it is preferable to use mouse and keyboard. In addition to existing shortcuts allowing users to use shift or ctrl with the mouse scroll buttons, include toggles for using "wasd" keys to pan, so the user doesn't need to move their hand to the arrow keys.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. PDF export to include high resolution option

Would like to have option of a high resolution option on the PDF Export dialog box. This would help zooming in on highly populated diagrams.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Hide Data Graphic label of empty link.

If a Data Graphic link doesn't contain information, give the option to hide the label.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add Decision Model and Notation (DMN)

The following is taken from https://www.omg.org/dmn/

DMN is a modeling language and notation for the precise specification of business decisions and business rules. DMN is easily readable by the different types of people involved in decision management. These include: business people who specify the rules and monitor their application; business analysts.

DMN is designed to work alongside BPMN and/or CMMN, providing a mechanism to model the decision-making associated with processes and cases. While BPMN, CMMN and DMN can be used independently, they were carefully designed to be complementary. Indeed, many organizations require a combination of process models for their prescriptive…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Customer Journey Map to the available template

Add the Customer Journey Map template and elements to capture the customer experience, expectation, objective and interaction with the company business processes. This can be linked to the company process modelled in BPMN

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make connection to Excel tables better. Changes to the table will often break down the link.

Make connection to Excel tables better. Changes to the table will often break down the link.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. An overlay page

How about an overlay page to go in front of the foreground page. Currently items can block items on a background page, There is no way to have background items blocking foreground items.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add option to disable "snap to shape"

When using a connector between shapes the connection automatically snaps to the center of the shape (a box pops up indicating "snap to shape". There does not appear to be any way to disable this snapping other than entirely disabling snap.

I want to be able to leave other snapping enabled (e.g. snap to grid) and not have the snap automatically jump to the shape. There are options to disable other individual snapping options but not this one.

This worked fine in previous versions of Visio and makes Visio almost unusable for my application. Adding the ability to enable or…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Paste Special

I always need to 'paste special' Paste as text for massive diagrams. Please give me some kind of quick key to do it automatically!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make Visio user-friendly by making it similar to the likes of vector editing tools

We engineers use this a lot for adding complex circuit diagrams in documents. The reason Visio is useful is because it can be embedded directly into office documents. But the problem is that I find Visio extremely outdated in usability (which is why I'm making the effort to voice my frustration here). .

Firstly, making a line is so difficult - the line is either straight or a circular arc. There's no (easy) way to make arcs of other types.

It is very difficult to draw up things - adding points to existing lines and manipulating them is difficult

Locking…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Co-authoring in Visio desktop client

At this time (august 2020) co-authoring in Visio is only possible in the web client. It would be great if this would work in the desktop client as well

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Not listed among Office applications

I have 2 seperate Licenses for 'Office-2019 Pro and 'Visio'.

Visio is not included among the Office applicaitons. It was listed among them before. It sisappeaed following some updates, I do not which.
    Can make it visible?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add Overline to the text

It is possible to underline or strike through, why not overline?
    It is possible to do this in Word, but the text can not be copied to Visio except by taking a picture.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base