Visio on Desktop

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create a native Mac OS X version

Create a native Mac OS X version

105 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

12 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow separate windows for the same source document

For multi-monitor setups allowing child windows to be separated from the single host app window would be extremely useful, as per Excel: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2013/02/07/open-excel-workbooks-in-separate-windows-and-view-them-side-by-side/, or, ideally, using Visual Studio's tear off windows, out of the main app into some spare screen space.

Although you can stretch the app window across multiple monitors the break between two monitors never sits in the right place (ie the break between two child windows) and so you end up using a single monitor.

In Visio, it's common to have multiple ShapeSheet windows open at once, either displaying master and instance, or one for each…

59 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enhanced Color Picking

Visio should make it easier for me to pick colors. There are two parts to my suggestion.

1 - Be consistent with PowerPoint and offer the Eyedropper tool for fill/border/text colors

2 - Additionally to match specific colors (for example when looking at a branding guidelines document) allow users some way to directly enter a string/webcolor ( For example "#ff0000" ). The Colors dialog (The Custom tab specifically) is not very friendly for this task because people often transform the color as a 6digit color string - requiring the user to do two things: #1 convert find a tool to

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make fullscreen mode useful

Visio is great, no doubts about this. However, I'm surprised (even amazed!) how poorly supported is full screen mode, for both work and presentations. There is a Presentation Mode (Visio 2016) available, but due to the lack of Pan&Zoom support it's pretty much useless I'm afraid :( Also, I wish I could work with block diagrams in Full Screen mode with only relevant Panes (e.g. shapes) when using my laptop, where every inch of display area is absolutely critical. Are there any plans to address these concerns? These day's I'm forced to print out my diagrams into PDFs for full…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix the way text is selected. I want to start the selection where I click not where my cursor is.

Currently the text selection starts at my cursor location and ends where I click highlighting everything in between. This is the ONLY product that has this behavior. Make it so my selection starts where I click and hold down my left mouse and ends where I move to and release left mouse.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add the ability to use Equation Editor in text boxes

As a computer science student, I use Visio for a lot of math related graphing. Probability flowcharts, algorithms, etc. The inability to use math equations and symbols like I can in all other Office apps is a serious step back for me, and I'd love to be able to use math equations in textboxes.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. show all pages side-by-side

The bottom of the Visio window has page tabs and the single drawing page that shows up in the main portion of the Visio window is limited to a single selected page/tab. I would like the main portion of the Visio window to have the option to show ALL pages side-by-side at the same time. The page tabs at the bottom could then be used to navigate to a single page view. Please consider adding a multiple-page view. Thank you.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add a checkbox to remember US vs. Metric units

Every time I start a new diagram, I'm asked to specify US or Metric units. I always choose the same option. It would be great to add a "remember this decision" checkbox to that dialog so I can skip that step and go straight into building my diagram.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow gridlines to be visible when background color is changed

My coworkers and I create Visio drawings with white lines to be used on dark PPT slides. To draw everything in white, we require a colored background for relief. We also need to see the Visio gridlines as we draw.

In former versions of Visio, it was possible to change the color of the background canvas, and with that change, the grid lines were still visible in front of (or on top of) the color.

In Visio 2016, changing the background color creates a shape that sits on top of the background, obscuring the gridlines. Now the only alternative is…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Choose a Different Canvas Color

In Visio 2003 it was a simple matter to change the color of the canvas. In Visio 2016 we seem to be stuck with white. I work on presentations with both light and dark backgrounds, so I need to create both white and black drawings. I can add a background layer for this purpose, but then I lose the grid lines. I can add transparency to the background to somewhat see the grid lines, but then my background color is washed out. This seems like an obvious feature, especially since an old version of Visio already had it. Please bring…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow a user to set more default options such as connector thickness, color, and fonts + ability to select all "like" objects to format.

Allow a user to set more default options such as connector thickness, color, and fonts. Plus the ability to select all "like" objects for formatting purposes. Formatting seems to be one of the biggest bottlenecks and time wasters.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Always display connection points / increase size of connection points

In Visio 2016, connection points are only visible under certain conditions:

> Connection points become visible when you try to connect one shape to another. You see a shape’s connection points when you hover near the shape with the Connector Tool or drag the endpoint of any connector or line near a shape that has connection points.

In older versions of Visio, connections points were always visible. Please add an an option to always display connection points.

Additionally, when the connection points are visible, they are difficult to see, even when zoomed in.

Increasing the size of the "grey square"…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Change the pin position without moving the shape

I wanted to position some things precisely on the page, but do so from the top left corner. So selected the object I wanted, changed the pin pos from centre-centre to top-left expecting it to now show me the coordinates of the top left corner. But it moved my shape's top left corner to the centre-centre position. What use is this to anyone?

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make New Window button do what is does in other Office clients

Hi,

I am using Visio 2016 on a two monitor setup.

I clicked the View | New Window button, expecting it to work like it does in Excel and Word, and allow me to have the same file open in two windows; however, unless I am missing something, it only opens another window under the current one.

Am I missing something?

If not, this is pretty annoying and a bad UI decision.

Thanks

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make Layer Properties window non modal

Why layer window must be modal? Why it cannot be like in any application for graphis like Gimp or even Expression, where I can maintain in parallel to objects?

This especially is a problem when I want to lock objects. Option is hard to find and use without layers, and opening this window each time is a clicking nightmare.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. apps for Office

We need support for apps for Office just like in the other apps

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Please allow users to copy a page to a different diagram

While we can duplicate pages within the same diagram, there seems to be no UI for copying an entire page to a separate diagram. This as per https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Can-I-copy-a-page-in-a-Visio-drawing-05301974-cd3f-4044-8a70-d3c20bb46d1b seems to be a limitation since 2007. Can we look into this? Unable to copy a page to another file seems really strange when we compare it with other Office applications such as Word or Excel.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add capability of: sorting stencils alphabetically and also resize the stencil task pane

Have you tried to use Visio in a big scree monitor? It is almost impossible as the stencils are so small! There is no way that I can make the icons on the selection pane large.
    Also, why can't I sort the stencils alphabetically? It would help a lot specially when I know what I am looking at.
    Example: Get the Azure Visio Stencil package. So many icons without sorting capability is painful!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. I suggest you make the "close X" in the upper right corner work like every other Microsoft package. When I use the upper right close X on a

I suggest you make the "close X" in the upper right corner work like every other Microsoft software package. When I use the upper right close X on a Word document it only closes the current window. When I use the close X on an Outlook email or appointment it only closes the current email or appointment. HOWEVER, when I use the close X in Visio, it shuts down the entire program, not just the current drawing. This is ridiculous! Thank God for the save question on exit or I'd have lost significant progress on my current flowchart. Please fix…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Default connection color

How about you make it easy to change the default color of connections? I can't be the first person to request this, but I actually spent time on the internet and in VISIO looking for a simple way to change the default color of connections. This should be a basic function...

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base