Visio on Desktop

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make text in angled text boxes selectable/searchable after saving as PDF

In Visio 2016, any text box that is completely vertical or horizontal (0°, 90°, 180°, -90°) is selectable and searchable after saving as a PDF however, if the text box is at an angle other than any of the above angles, the text is not selectable or searchable after saving as a PDF.

This was possible with Visio 2010.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make fullscreen mode useful

Visio is great, no doubts about this. However, I'm surprised (even amazed!) how poorly supported is full screen mode, for both work and presentations. There is a Presentation Mode (Visio 2016) available, but due to the lack of Pan&Zoom support it's pretty much useless I'm afraid :( Also, I wish I could work with block diagrams in Full Screen mode with only relevant Panes (e.g. shapes) when using my laptop, where every inch of display area is absolutely critical. Are there any plans to address these concerns? These day's I'm forced to print out my diagrams into PDFs for full…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Be able to classify, label and protect Visio diagrams with Microsoft Information Protection sensitivity labels

Word, PowerPoint, Excel and several third party applications support MIP labels to flag the sensitivity and confidentiality of a document, apply protection and enforce display of content markings.
    Visio diagrams include just as much sensitive information as these other document formats, and users should be able to label them in the same way with a consistent user experience. Visio already supports the older RMS protection capabilities, but labels would offer a much better and more complete user experience.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Sharepoint Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make Microsoft Office Visio part of Microsoft Office 365 Home Premium Office Suite

I wish Microsoft Office Visio would become part of Microsoft Office 365 Home Premium Office Suite and all other Microsoft Office Suites including Microsoft Office 365 starting in Microsoft Office 2019 when it gets released.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Find & Replace Text

Please allow for find & replace of text across Visio. For example, a role name may change and its acronym needs to be updated across several diagrams. These is a very tedious and oversight-prone process currently without text replace.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix the way text is selected. I want to start the selection where I click not where my cursor is.

Currently the text selection starts at my cursor location and ends where I click highlighting everything in between. This is the ONLY product that has this behavior. Make it so my selection starts where I click and hold down my left mouse and ends where I move to and release left mouse.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Provide Shapes for PowerBI Dashboard Wireframing

Make a set of shapes for creation of PowerBI wireframes during requirements discussions

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Change Color Palette Without Using Theme

We create Visio templates that have all of our device graphics (little renders of our products), power system stencils, and brand icons. This way, anyone in our company who wants to create a drawing can open up our template and have correctly sized, colored, and formatted drawing elements.

However, we would also like to be able to set a custom color palette so that we can display our brand colors by default when a user draws a new line, shape, or item that doesn't already exist in our template. The only way we can do this currently is to duplicate…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add the ability to use Equation Editor in text boxes

As a computer science student, I use Visio for a lot of math related graphing. Probability flowcharts, algorithms, etc. The inability to use math equations and symbols like I can in all other Office apps is a serious step back for me, and I'd love to be able to use math equations in textboxes.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. three key fixes to make visio more usable..

As a long term sufferer of visio ( both my current and previous employers have had it as their default drawing package ~ 18yrs ) and given that it seems likely I will be forced to use it for some time more, I wanted to reach out to Microsoft with some suggestions that might help to get rid of all those 'visio sucks - where can I get a proper drawing program from?' messages that abound on the internet forums. So here goes:

(1) Grids:

Visio uses grids which have zoom in steps like 1:2:5:10. The ratios between these grids…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Populate flowcharts based on pictures

I create a lot of process/business workflows with butcher paper & sticky notes. It would be great if I could take a picture of what I was working on & upload it into Visio. Then, all I would have to do is check to make sure everything was correct (and edit, if needed).

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. (Reinstate) PDF Layer Support

Earlier versions of Visio exported layer information to PDF which was extremely useful (and encouraged the use of Visio as a preferred drawing tool)
    PDFs could then be distributed with the option to switch on and off the layers of information but this feature no longer works. Files can still be Saved/Exported as PDF but all layer information is discarded as if it was printed to PDF instead.

Was there a reason that PDF layer support was dropped?

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Extensibility & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. process

Integrate to Microsoft Flow and PowerApps, to allow people to create and monitor real workflows and apps in Visio instead of just visualizations.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Extensibility & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Replacement of full featured static HTML/VML Export by HTML5

Currently HTML works only in IE8 mode. You can not run it easily in a SP2013 webpart

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. generate code from Visio class diagrams

Restore the code generation from UML diagrams and UML creation from code. I'm stunned to find this removed from the latest versions. UML and class diagrams in Visio were good and now are useless. I'm uninstalling Visio to save my company the 200 dollars because, without this feature, Visio is not worth 200 dollars in a development environment.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Only download stencils from SharePoint if the drawing is using SharePoint stencils

We have noticed through our use of Visio desktop and SharePoint Online, that when we open a drawing in SharePoint, Visio attempts to download each stencil it uses from the same SharePoint location.

The issue is that these stencils are not held in SharePoint and are in fact on the local computer - the paths to which are recorded inside the drawing.

Yet Visio tries to download them, which adds 1 or 2 seconds wait, per stencil, to do so. Many of our drawings use 6 - 7 stencils, so this total wait time adds a noticeable delay.

Please restrict…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Sharepoint Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fix Data Visualizer so it does not redraw diagrams when you add a data graphics field

I love the ability to link an Excel spreadsheet to a Visio Data Visualizer (Cross Functional Flowchart). It's great for assembling roadmap visuals from spreadsheet data. The problem is that after I align the objects on the chart within their lane, if I add a data graphic field, all of my layout changes are thrown out and the chart is scrambled.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. visio viewer

“Publish an installable standalone Visio Viewer that does not depend on Active X, web browser or OneDrive. Dependence on
    -OneDrive limits end-user usability
    -Web browser limits resolution and movement around larger documents”

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. show all pages side-by-side

The bottom of the Visio window has page tabs and the single drawing page that shows up in the main portion of the Visio window is limited to a single selected page/tab. I would like the main portion of the Visio window to have the option to show ALL pages side-by-side at the same time. The page tabs at the bottom could then be used to navigate to a single page view. Please consider adding a multiple-page view. Thank you.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base