Visio on Desktop

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. (Visual) Diff/Merge of Visio Documents

Compare two versions of a document in SharePoint and get a hint what is changed. Visual for end users and as a XML report for developers. Fire all events while merging so that 3rd party tools get a chance to follow up

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Access reverse engineering

As others, I signed the online Visio to draw several ERD from several Access databases; I already have an LucidChart account, but they do not have a reverse engineering for mdb/accdb files.
    So, I tryed the ODBC driver, selected the Access driver mdb/accdb, selected tables and... nothing.
    Error in all tables: Error! Cannot extract column definition for the table/view 'Eventos'. The definition is not available or you may not have sufficient privileges. Please check with your database administrator.
    The accdb is not protected...

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Active User Report

Please provide an Active User Report similar to the main O365 components (EXO, SPO, etc…) that displays the “Last Activity Date” for a user. This helps us track our user adoption. It also will allow us to track who is no longer using their license so we can redistribute them to different users.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Auto Save files in SharePoint or One Drive

Please provide the option to Auto Save Visio files when saved in SharePoint or One Drive. (Like every other MS file-type)

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Sharepoint Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Turn Off Dynamic Glue Feature (Green Box)

Allow the ability to turn off the Dynamic Glue feature that prevents the placement of connectors on shapes if another shape is behind or adjacent to the one you want to link. It was a feature on 2007 & 2010 but was removed on 2013 & 2016

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Reverse engineering on database

If it cannot even return the current relationships among the tables, how it could be named as reverse engineering for databases?

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add more Stencils

Need more stencils types period. Designing for Azure we need country and global maps to put datacenters and connections, etc. Need to really sit down and create a set of core stencils for Azure. I need shapes of the countries, regional areas (North America, Latin America, EU, CEE, Africa, Asia Pacific) in various languages too.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add a checkbox to remember US vs. Metric units

Every time I start a new diagram, I'm asked to specify US or Metric units. I always choose the same option. It would be great to add a "remember this decision" checkbox to that dialog so I can skip that step and go straight into building my diagram.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add proper support for Metric Units

Creating a document with Metric Units instead of US Units results in strange bugs.

The majority of the world uses the metric system, and you are an international company, so please add proper support for it.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow gridlines to be visible when background color is changed

My coworkers and I create Visio drawings with white lines to be used on dark PPT slides. To draw everything in white, we require a colored background for relief. We also need to see the Visio gridlines as we draw.

In former versions of Visio, it was possible to change the color of the background canvas, and with that change, the grid lines were still visible in front of (or on top of) the color.

In Visio 2016, changing the background color creates a shape that sits on top of the background, obscuring the gridlines. Now the only alternative is…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Choose a Different Canvas Color

In Visio 2003 it was a simple matter to change the color of the canvas. In Visio 2016 we seem to be stuck with white. I work on presentations with both light and dark backgrounds, so I need to create both white and black drawings. I can add a background layer for this purpose, but then I lose the grid lines. I can add transparency to the background to somewhat see the grid lines, but then my background color is washed out. This seems like an obvious feature, especially since an old version of Visio already had it. Please bring…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Save "AutoRecover" Information by default

Have "Save AutoRecover information every ## minutes" turned on by default

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Improve PDF Insert

Most architectural floor plans are distributed in the PDF format these days as the DWG file format has expanded in complexity and scope. A floor plan in PDF already has the plotted page size and scale making insert into a Visio drawing much less problematic than DWG. However the current version of Visio does not do a good job of inserting PDF files generated from DWG and does an even worse job of printing the PDF background with Visio shapes on top. There are software products available that can convert the vectors in a PDF file to vectors that can…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Visio on iOS

I love Visio, but I'm rarely at my computer anymore.

I've found myself using Visio alternatives, but they're all lackluster.

I'd love to have access to Visio and my diagrams on mobile devices where I could do at least some basic editing.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Please provide animation for the process flow diagrams

Please provide animation functionality to present Flow diagrams. Very useful to convey the Flow logic in large diagrams

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bulk change shapes based on Shape Data

Change all shapes on a diagram in bulk based on shape data. e.g., when rationalising a large set of diagrams, an analyst could tag a list and update the diagram.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Visio Live with an extension strategy (FlowChart and BPMN is mostly needed)

We are very often in highly competitve situations, when people are asking for modelling on the web / Zero installation solutions. We do not need full fledge Visio. How about generating a modeller from a fixed stencil? No acces of ShapeSheets allowed.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Multiple reporting lines

Allow the user to maintain multiple reporting lines rather than a single reports to individual.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Org Chart  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow a user to set more default options such as connector thickness, color, and fonts + ability to select all "like" objects to format.

Allow a user to set more default options such as connector thickness, color, and fonts. Plus the ability to select all "like" objects for formatting purposes. Formatting seems to be one of the biggest bottlenecks and time wasters.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base