Visio on Desktop

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow connection to SQL Server 2017 for reverse engineering databases

Currently, Visio Pro 365 (32 bit and 64 bit) does not allow connections to databases created using SQL Server 2017.

Please add this capability.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Always display connection points / increase size of connection points

In Visio 2016, connection points are only visible under certain conditions:

> Connection points become visible when you try to connect one shape to another. You see a shape’s connection points when you hover near the shape with the Connector Tool or drag the endpoint of any connector or line near a shape that has connection points.

In older versions of Visio, connections points were always visible. Please add an an option to always display connection points.

Additionally, when the connection points are visible, they are difficult to see, even when zoomed in.

Increasing the size of the "grey square"…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change the pin position without moving the shape

I wanted to position some things precisely on the page, but do so from the top left corner. So selected the object I wanted, changed the pin pos from centre-centre to top-left expecting it to now show me the coordinates of the top left corner. But it moved my shape's top left corner to the centre-centre position. What use is this to anyone?

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Share/ collaborate in drawing

Allow to share a drawing between mutliple users so they can collaborate and edit a document together (like in Word, Excel, Powerpoint).

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Visio Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make New Window button do what is does in other Office clients

Hi,

I am using Visio 2016 on a two monitor setup.

I clicked the View | New Window button, expecting it to work like it does in Excel and Word, and allow me to have the same file open in two windows; however, unless I am missing something, it only opens another window under the current one.

Am I missing something?

If not, this is pretty annoying and a bad UI decision.

Thanks

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. enable a hyperlink on background page to be accessed from a foreground page

allow for a hyperlink created on background page to be visible and acccessible from a foreground page.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Exporting to SQL Server from visio

Why would you remove the ability to push the design from Visio to SQL Server? I can find tons of free software to create a DB diagram. The one thing I liked about Visio is that I was able to design the DB and then create the database/tables based on the design directly.

I was going to buy Visio 2016, but this reduction has changed my mind completely. I shall keep using the free software to create designs until this functionality is returned to Visio.

Have a good day

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add the ability to use the native equation capability in word. Equation editor 3.0 is not sufficient and does not support tex directives.

The equation editor got a major boost when word used its own native tex-based solution to adding equations. I frequently use equations in my visio diagrams and if I had this functionality it would dramatically improve the product for my use cases. At present it is a strange omission given the feature's presence in powerpoint and word and hopefully it would not be too hard to add.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Visio Express

After all these years of seeing express version of the highly prized visual studio apps, why don't we have a Visio Express offering yet? Visio being more expensive than even office, makes it out of reach for a lot of people.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make Layer Properties window non modal

Why layer window must be modal? Why it cannot be like in any application for graphis like Gimp or even Expression, where I can maintain in parallel to objects?

This especially is a problem when I want to lock objects. Option is hard to find and use without layers, and opening this window each time is a clicking nightmare.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Bring back a option "Same as printer paper size" to DialogBox PageSetup

Before Visio 2010 in DialogBox PageSetup, tab PageSize contain that option.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. automatically create diagrams from excel data

Automatically create flowcharts and cross functional flowcharts from Excel Data. As a user I should be able to import my Excel data and create the diagram, refresh the diagram so it reflects changes in data.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. apps for Office

We need support for apps for Office just like in the other apps

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Multi-language mastershapes

Same NameU but multiple names for multiple languages. As a feature AND in all your stencils. Think of "CFF-Container" and friends.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Discovery network.

Visio 2000 enterprise had this function.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Visio core edition.

This edition has core functions only!
    This mean is ISV edition of Visio.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Floorplan/Seating chart linked to AD Users

Allow creation of interactive seating chart/floorplan so that clicking on a user at a location pops AD user info (e.g. Delve details). Allow searching for a user/printer to find location.Results could be embedded in Sharepoint page, Teams tab, etc.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Extensibility & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Single Document Interface

I'm surprised that in 2019 Visio still has a Multiple-Document Interface. Could we please move to a Single-Document Interface? The MDI is confusing and frustrating. It would be so much more productive to be able to arrange multiple Visio instances as you like without being constrained to a single instance approach and to be able to see them on the Taskbar.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Option to render diagram to a specified size with Data Visualizer

For the Flowchart Data Visualizers, please provide the option to create diagram of a specified size, e.g. fit to 1 letter size page, size to 7" x 10", etc., and render accordingly. When I am manually resizing, I end up with lots of white space unless I move around the individual diagram components manually, which defeats the point of using the visualizer tool.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Please could we have keyboard short cuts send backward and bring forward

Additional shortcut for Send Backward and Bring Forward.
    In addition to the existing shortcuts for sent to back and bring to front , please could we have shortcuts and or mouse wheel control of sending backward or bringing forward as seldom we use back and front but more we are somewhere in the middle of many layers...

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base