Visio on Desktop

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Visio Electrical Circuit diagram symbols should conform to the NEC codes as published by the NFPA.

Visio 16 Professional: The Electrical Circuit symbols do not conform to the NEC codes as published by the NFPA.

Please change the symbols to conform to those standards. Otherwise, Visio is useless. We have to turn to other software.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Visio Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve embedding Visio in rest of office suite

Make it easier to embed/copy/paste Visio diagrams into other Office suite documents (and generally in Windows), without the file sizes ballooning.

Usually the best way is to save as .jpg and insert the .jpg file which is a lot of effort, and doesn't always print well

An "save as" PPTX capability (saving all the pages as non-editable pictures) would also be useful--with controls on page layout, use of an existing PowerPoint Template/master etc.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I suggest you make import and export of GraphML possible

I suggest you make import and export of GraphML possible

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enhance Shape Reports to allow one-click integration with Microsoft Flow

Shape Reports can be made even easier to integrate with MS Flow if:
    1. Option to not include the first title row
    2. Format the list as Table1 (or better still include optional table name)
    3. Option to run a specific Shape Report to a specified file path with one click.
    With these enhancements, Microsoft Flow can listen for updates to the specified Excel file and action it, such as update a SharePoint list, send an email, request Approval, etc....

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Sharepoint Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please allow users to copy a page to a different diagram

While we can duplicate pages within the same diagram, there seems to be no UI for copying an entire page to a separate diagram. This as per https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Can-I-copy-a-page-in-a-Visio-drawing-05301974-cd3f-4044-8a70-d3c20bb46d1b seems to be a limitation since 2007. Can we look into this? Unable to copy a page to another file seems really strange when we compare it with other Office applications such as Word or Excel.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Rotating views without changing between landscape and portrait

Rotating views without changing between landscape and portrait. 2007 had this feature, but this was disabled with 2013. We would like to view some of the drawings rotated by 90 degrees, but keep all drawings in portrait. Can you please put that feature back in? The 2007 Visio allows rotation by using the control key and placing the mouse cursor in the corner of the drawing.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Alignment capability extensions

You can currently align top/middle/bottom, and right/center/left between two shapes. It would be nice to be able to align the right edge of one shape with the left of another, or top with bottom. Heck, how about the full matrix of alignment possibilities?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Password Protection for Drawing

Capability to set the password to open a drawing as read only or read/write.

Each shapesheet should be protected separately.
    Shapesheets created by ISV will be protected while others will be shown to/customized by users.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. data visualizer

Be able to provide HEADING and TITLE variable in data visualizer wizard.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make the Mobile wireframes available for Visio 2019

The mobile/web wireframes are currently only available for Visio Online Plan 2 and not for Visio 2019 Pro which is kind of strange.
    Link: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-Wireframe-Templates-to-design-websites-and-mobile-apps-2d54dc55-f5c4-49a2-85da-d649eb7fc281

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. What other stencils than BPMN do you want to use to export to Microsoft Flow from Visio?

Currently, you can only export BPMN diagrams to Microsoft Flow from Visio. What other stencils would you want to use to export to Microsoft Flow from visio?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make Visio open and read hand drawn flowcharts(Picture from whiteboard) and convert them to corresponding shape objects in Visio

Flowcharts and processes are many times finalized as a group on big sheets of paper or whiteboards. A photo of this whiteboard or paper charts are then taken and emailed to user for creating the entire chart in Visio. Recommended Idea is to make visio read the photo file and translate the images into shapes best corresponding to the library. (Image recognition based idea)

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add capability of: sorting stencils alphabetically and also resize the stencil task pane

Have you tried to use Visio in a big scree monitor? It is almost impossible as the stencils are so small! There is no way that I can make the icons on the selection pane large.
    Also, why can't I sort the stencils alphabetically? It would help a lot specially when I know what I am looking at.
    Example: Get the Azure Visio Stencil package. So many icons without sorting capability is painful!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Use the proper hyperlink Description, when exporting to SVG

Today, when a VSD or VSDX is exported to SVG, the Hyperlink Description is lost. Instead of showing the real description, the block name is used, which makes the description not usable in the SVG.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I suggest you make the "close X" in the upper right corner work like every other Microsoft package. When I use the upper right close X on a

I suggest you make the "close X" in the upper right corner work like every other Microsoft software package. When I use the upper right close X on a Word document it only closes the current window. When I use the close X on an Outlook email or appointment it only closes the current email or appointment. HOWEVER, when I use the close X in Visio, it shuts down the entire program, not just the current drawing. This is ridiculous! Thank God for the save question on exit or I'd have lost significant progress on my current flowchart. Please fix…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Default connection color

How about you make it easy to change the default color of connections? I can't be the first person to request this, but I actually spent time on the internet and in VISIO looking for a simple way to change the default color of connections. This should be a basic function...

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add the ability to use the native equation capability in word. Equation editor 3.0 is not sufficient and does not support tex directives.

The equation editor got a major boost when word used its own native tex-based solution to adding equations. I frequently use equations in my visio diagrams and if I had this functionality it would dramatically improve the product for my use cases. At present it is a strange omission given the feature's presence in powerpoint and word and hopefully it would not be too hard to add.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow comments to be placed anywhere on the canvas

Comments are currently applied only at the drawing level--this makes it very difficult to add comments in context without applying directly to the drawing as an annotation.
    Comments should be allowed to be placed anywhere on the canvas, like it is in PowerPoint.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Track changes like Word

Track not only how shapes show but also all the data in shapesheet including Users section.
    Shapesheets for Pages and Drawing should be trackable, too.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Select shapes by master

It's possible to select shapes by type (e.g., guide, connectors) and by layer, but it would be very helpful to be able to select shapes by Master in a similar way. In conjunction with Shape Replace, it would be a quick means of replacing shapes in bulk.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base