Help us make Visio more Awesome!

bring back the database reverse engineering capability

Bring back the capability that was in Visio 2007 to reverse engineer database entity relationship diagrams. Also, simplify connecting to OData.

8 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ken Loewen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh my goodness the sole reason I use visio has just gone awol, is anyone steering the ship at MS this is insane?

• Barry L. Camp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very unhappy about this. As many online have already said and I say too: this is the only reason I even use Visio. The diagramming tool in SSMS has always been inadequate but Visio's (up until 2010) has been very useful. I have the desktop version of Visio 2016 and without the ability to diagram databases properly, this app is worthless to me. Worthless and useless.

You do realize Microsoft that Visio 2010 had this, right? And now you return the feature as a subscription-only option for 365 users? Put this back in Visio Pro 2016 and 2013. This is an outrageous scam.

HOLY CRAP MICROSOFT YOU TOOK *OUT* THE SINGLE MOST USEFUL FEATURE OF VISIO???

ONLY MICKEYSOFT COULD *REMOVE* FEATURES AND CALL IT AN UPDATE.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that it is very disappointing that this feature is not available to Professional users of your product.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really disappointed to have a $600 2016 "Pro" product without this key feature. Adding it back into O365 only is a borderline scam.

• ES commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was not wriiten in the net the the add in only works with Office 365. I bought the desktop version of VISIO 2016 and Ofice 2016. The only reason was the reverse engineering and this does not work.
        Sorry MS I like you but this is a very bad job and for me not OK. Means money for nothing.

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a timeline for adding support for the new add-in to Viso Pro 2016?

• maarzt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the proper Visio Pro 365 Subscription
        I have installed the add-in from this link in this post.

The installation went fine, but after starting the Database Model Diagram,
        there are no options for reverse engineering a database.
        Either the functionality isnt available or its well hidden.
        Please we need better instructions!

Feedback and Knowledge Base