Help us make Visio more Awesome!

Allow separate windows for the same source document

For multi-monitor setups allowing child windows to be separated from the single host app window would be extremely useful, as per Excel: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2013/02/07/open-excel-workbooks-in-separate-windows-and-view-them-side-by-side/, or, ideally, using Visual Studio's tear off windows, out of the main app into some spare screen space.

Although you can stretch the app window across multiple monitors the break between two monitors never sits in the right place (ie the break between two child windows) and so you end up using a single monitor.

In Visio, it's common to have multiple ShapeSheet windows open at once, either displaying master and instance, or one for each sub-shape in a group. In my setup (28" 3840x2160 @ 125%) I recon on one drawing window + a maximum of five ShapeSheet windows as being usable, but beyond that you spend all your time scrolling and switching windows. One of the real benefits of a large screen in Visio is being able to see more ShapeSheet sections at once and this is limited by only being able to use a single monitor.

From the drawing window perspective, other scenarios might also include: a) master details view - for example a one window for a floor plan, displayed alongside other windows of the same page at different zoom levels and areas of focus, b) multi-page view - ie one window per page

Bottom line - I've got plenty of screen real-estate and I'd like Visio to make full use of it so that I can be more productive.

14 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

John Goldsmith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base