Excel to Visio
We are just discovering the ability to create process maps in Excel and export to Visio. This seems like it has potential to save us a lot of time.
We would like the ability to do the following:
1. Customize the Header (Title) area
2. Specify color for the various Function groups
3. Add a standard shape (Divided Process) to the Shapes dropdown list
4. Add a customer shape (Divided Subprocess) saved to More Shapes > Favorites > My Shapes to the Shapes dropdown list
Thank you for your questions. Please find the answers below:
1. By customize, do you mean populate Title/ Header from Excel data? If so, please note that this is currently not possible, and you need to update these in Visio post diagram creation
2. If you wish to assign a specific color to all shapes that belong to a function then you can use data graphics (Color by value), please check out this section of the support article to learn more: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-data-visualizer-diagram-17211b46-d144-4ca2-9ea7-b0f48f0ae0a6#applydg
However, if you wish to apply specific color to the function headers in the diagram, then you need to do so post diagram creation manually.
3 & 4. Please refer this section of the support article to learn how to use shapes from other stencils while creating the diagram: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-data-visualizer-diagram-17211b46-d144-4ca2-9ea7-b0f48f0ae0a6#useothertemplates
Also, you need not do this each time you create the diagram. You can create all your mappings once, and then create a template package. You can then install the template package and it will create your personalized template under the Personal tab of your Visio app. This new template will have your custom Excel template and the Visio template will work seamlessly with your custom Excel.
More details here: