Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Invert a layer's visibility

Right now, we can add shapes to multiple layers. We can check the Visible box in the Layer Properties dialog to make all shapes on the #layer visible. However, we can't perform the inverse -- that is, we can't instruct Visio to hide everything on a layer.

The result of this is that if I want to hide a shape, I have to hide EVERY layer assigned to it. I should be able to say "make everything NOT on this layer visible"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please make Visio use the same colour palettes as PowerPoint, Word etc

Please make the Vision shape palettes use the same colour themes, gradients and effects as PowerPoint, Word etc.

The current implementation of Visio 2016 has a very different look and feel to all other MS Office tools for the way that the colours and gradients default, which is very disconcerting and makes it hard to apply enterprise colour guidelines consistently.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change the pin position without moving the shape

I wanted to position some things precisely on the page, but do so from the top left corner. So selected the object I wanted, changed the pin pos from centre-centre to top-left expecting it to now show me the coordinates of the top left corner. But it moved my shape's top left corner to the centre-centre position. What use is this to anyone?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support more than one text block per shape OR CONNECTOR

Visio should natively support more than one text block per shape OR CONNECTOR.

Database ER connectors are a natural for this; I can imagine an overall "relationship" text block somewhere in the middle, with text blocks at either end as well. (A secondary issue with connectors is that some of the specialized built-in connectors don't accept modifications, such as line width, gracefully, so I end up using "regular" connectors).

In shapes with distinct areas (i.e. that have one or more lines crossing the shape) it makes sense to have a text "title" in the upper region and a "description" or…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add a checkbox to remember US vs. Metric units

Every time I start a new diagram, I'm asked to specify US or Metric units. I always choose the same option. It would be great to add a "remember this decision" checkbox to that dialog so I can skip that step and go straight into building my diagram.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make fullscreen mode useful

Visio is great, no doubts about this. However, I'm surprised (even amazed!) how poorly supported is full screen mode, for both work and presentations. There is a Presentation Mode (Visio 2016) available, but due to the lack of Pan&Zoom support it's pretty much useless I'm afraid :( Also, I wish I could work with block diagrams in Full Screen mode with only relevant Panes (e.g. shapes) when using my laptop, where every inch of display area is absolutely critical. Are there any plans to address these concerns? These day's I'm forced to print out my diagrams into PDFs for full…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix the way text is selected. I want to start the selection where I click not where my cursor is.

Currently the text selection starts at my cursor location and ends where I click highlighting everything in between. This is the ONLY product that has this behavior. Make it so my selection starts where I click and hold down my left mouse and ends where I move to and release left mouse.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. BRING BACK STENCILS AND SHAPES WINDOWS - WHAT WE USED ALL THE TIME! + THE NEW WINDOWS INTERFACE IS HORRIBLE! YOU GUYS BOUGHT / RUINED VISIO!

Bring back the old tabs / interface that is configurable! (New one is really Horrible!)
    Bring back all the Stencils / Shapes - Like measuring arrows w. length displayed...Electrical / Mechanical items (Big reason Visio WAS fast and easy to use!)

Something Good? New Centering function is great!

Aloha
    Tommy

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Edit ShapeSheet cells for multiple shapes at once

Allow the user to select multiple shapes, and edit all their ShapeSheets at once. Today I wanted to be able to select all of a particular shape on my page and change the Width cell to be tied to a Page User-defined cell value. I had to click each one and edit it separately, about 50 in total.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please allow users to copy a page to a different diagram

While we can duplicate pages within the same diagram, there seems to be no UI for copying an entire page to a separate diagram. This as per https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Can-I-copy-a-page-in-a-Visio-drawing-05301974-cd3f-4044-8a70-d3c20bb46d1b seems to be a limitation since 2007. Can we look into this? Unable to copy a page to another file seems really strange when we compare it with other Office applications such as Word or Excel.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Zoom & Pan Customization

Zoom: Add a toggle that can reverse the zoom direction when rolling the mouse wheel (i.e. when toggled, rolling down will zoom in instead of zooming out).

Pan: Replace the current pan scheme (hold mouse button 3 and the view moves across the page in the direction of the mouse) in favour of "grabbing the sheet" (hold mouse button 3 and the sheet moves across the view as if you were moving a piece of paper across a surface). Either that, or add the ability to toggle between the two schemes.

Also, refine pan functionality so that panning is 1:1…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Pages Groups

Similar to OneNote where many pages would be grouped under a collapsable page group.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make New Window button do what is does in other Office clients

Hi,

I am using Visio 2016 on a two monitor setup.

I clicked the View | New Window button, expecting it to work like it does in Excel and Word, and allow me to have the same file open in two windows; however, unless I am missing something, it only opens another window under the current one.

Am I missing something?

If not, this is pretty annoying and a bad UI decision.

Thanks

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Enable printing comments

I draft various flows on behalf of multiple users who do not have Visio. They are able to open and read the flows; however, cannot see any comments I have inserted. I'd like to have the ability to print the comments and their related tags so my clients can see the questions I have inserted as comments.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. I suggest you make the "close X" in the upper right corner work like every other Microsoft package. When I use the upper right close X on a

I suggest you make the "close X" in the upper right corner work like every other Microsoft software package. When I use the upper right close X on a Word document it only closes the current window. When I use the close X on an Outlook email or appointment it only closes the current email or appointment. HOWEVER, when I use the close X in Visio, it shuts down the entire program, not just the current drawing. This is ridiculous! Thank God for the save question on exit or I'd have lost significant progress on my current flowchart. Please fix…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Provide multiple mouse drag selection types

When selecting objects by dragging the mouse to create a selection box, a nice feature to have would be to have it select either only what is completely contained within the box or everything the box contains and touches, depending on which direction the box is dragged in. Autodesk's AutoCAD has a good example of this.
    Another idea may be to have Ctrl+drag make a freeform line that selects anything it touches. Adobe Illustrator has something like that with their pen tool.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow gridlines to be visible when background color is changed

My coworkers and I create Visio drawings with white lines to be used on dark PPT slides. To draw everything in white, we require a colored background for relief. We also need to see the Visio gridlines as we draw.

In former versions of Visio, it was possible to change the color of the background canvas, and with that change, the grid lines were still visible in front of (or on top of) the color.

In Visio 2016, changing the background color creates a shape that sits on top of the background, obscuring the gridlines. Now the only alternative is…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add the ability to use Equation Editor in text boxes

As a computer science student, I use Visio for a lot of math related graphing. Probability flowcharts, algorithms, etc. The inability to use math equations and symbols like I can in all other Office apps is a serious step back for me, and I'd love to be able to use math equations in textboxes.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Default connection color

How about you make it easy to change the default color of connections? I can't be the first person to request this, but I actually spent time on the internet and in VISIO looking for a simple way to change the default color of connections. This should be a basic function...

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base