Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Choose a Different Canvas Color

In Visio 2003 it was a simple matter to change the color of the canvas. In Visio 2016 we seem to be stuck with white. I work on presentations with both light and dark backgrounds, so I need to create both white and black drawings. I can add a background layer for this purpose, but then I lose the grid lines. I can add transparency to the background to somewhat see the grid lines, but then my background color is washed out. This seems like an obvious feature, especially since an old version of Visio already had it. Please bring…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. show all pages side-by-side

The bottom of the Visio window has page tabs and the single drawing page that shows up in the main portion of the Visio window is limited to a single selected page/tab. I would like the main portion of the Visio window to have the option to show ALL pages side-by-side at the same time. The page tabs at the bottom could then be used to navigate to a single page view. Please consider adding a multiple-page view. Thank you.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Layer Properties window non modal

Why layer window must be modal? Why it cannot be like in any application for graphis like Gimp or even Expression, where I can maintain in parallel to objects?

This especially is a problem when I want to lock objects. Option is hard to find and use without layers, and opening this window each time is a clicking nightmare.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Page Separator

When working with multiple pages, the page separator is barely visible.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Intersecting Guide Snap and Glue

If Snap or Glue to Guides is active, the interface should allow alignment to the intersection of two crossing Guides. Right now, you can snap to one or the other, but not both. Choosing "Intersections" doesn't do it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. I suggest you to add more 3 D shapes

I love this tool..but would like to have more 3 D shapes

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Custom colors for controls handles

Add another ShapeSheet cell to allow control handle colors to be customizable. Shapes such as Chris Roth's text on a circle and my color wheel use different control handles to do different jobs and it would be great to be able change the colors of these appropriately.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Enhanced Color Picking

Visio should make it easier for me to pick colors. There are two parts to my suggestion.

1 - Be consistent with PowerPoint and offer the Eyedropper tool for fill/border/text colors

2 - Additionally to match specific colors (for example when looking at a branding guidelines document) allow users some way to directly enter a string/webcolor ( For example "#ff0000" ). The Colors dialog (The Custom tab specifically) is not very friendly for this task because people often transform the color as a 6digit color string - requiring the user to do two things: #1 convert find a tool to

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. apps for Office

We need support for apps for Office just like in the other apps

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Support for language translations

Currently if a user wants to translate a Visio drawing into another language, they have to export to xml and figure out which words/phrases need to be translated. A means to export text to an xlf file for a translator to work on and a means for importing the results.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Text block constraint/guide based on parent shape's geometry

It would be useful if the text block position tool could constrain/guide along a path that is perpendicular to the parent shape's geometry.

For a shape consisting of a single line segment where the text block and line's geometry are parallel this could work well and probably the easiest case to implement.

In the first example the keeping the text block in line is not too bad as it's only moving in Y, but in the second example it would help if Visio had optional constraints to limit the text block moving perpendicular to the line only.
    http://i.imgur.com/rWEFXnj.gifv
    https://aka.ms/AA2qewc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add advanced filtering capabilities for visibility and dynamic application of properties in bulk

It would be VERY useful if there were a way to set up filters that work like this:
    1. give the filter a name
    2. Add criteria to the filter based on properties of shapes (e.g. master name, a shape data value, a value of a particular cell on the shape sheet, whether or not the shape is on a particular layer)
    3. Allow the criteria to be combined in a hierarchy that allows ORs and ANDs to apply in whatever order and grouping makes sense
    4. Allow the user to perform some action based on the filter
    - set…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Gridlines not visible on 2nd monitor

I have currently latest version of Visio 2016 Professional and when I enable grid on document and move Visio to 2nd screen the gridlines are not visible. This might be due to the monitor settings as well, but could this be a bug ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Shape Data window should sort all fields with data in them to the top.

Shape Data window should sort all fields that contain data to the top of the list. Since most fields won't contain data, this makes it inconvenient to see relevant information when selecting different shapes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Office Standard Drawing Tools or Improve/Expand Current Set

Additional or Improved tools for making custom shapes, Excel or and Word have more better easier to use tools that would be great additions to what's available now.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Re-enable shap shifting with arrow keys

As said: In prior versions it was possible to move shapes using the arrow keys. This was the only really precise possibility to move shapes.
    Now, this is not possible anymore, instead I can move around in the window witih the key (which is already covered by key up and key down).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Keep a shape glued to a guide if an unglued handle is used to resize the shape

I have several shapes glued to guides. If I try to resize a shape by clicking and dragging a handle that isn't glued, then the whole shape becomes unglued. It would be nice if the glue would keep the shape in place while allowing the resize to happen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. ISO 9001 Template

I think it would be useful to have a ISO 9001 template including the objects this framework use.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. PMBOK Template

Just as Visio already has the ITIL template to draw shapes for this framework, it would be great to include the proper template for PMBOK to draw shapes for project management framework.

For example shapes for life cycle, initiation phase, planning phase, building and controlling phase, closing phase, project charter, project, program leader, project leader, findings, objective, budget and so on

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. COBIT Template

Just as Visio already has the ITIL template to draw shapes for this framework, it would be great to include the proper template for COBIT to draw shapes for IT government, audit & security. For example shapes for domains, risk, benefit, resource, control, principle, need, stakeholder, goal, etc.

I think the ISACA community will be happy to collaborate in this template (I will be happy as a ISACA member).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base