Visio on Desktop

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. page formula that references a renamed shape should be allowed to use the new name of the shape

I have a shape that appears on a page. I have renamed the shape to make it self-documenting. I want to create a user-defined cell on the page that refers to the position of the shape. When I try to do this, Visio won't let me use the new name for the shape; instead I have to use the Sheet.ID name, which is harder to understand or to trace back later. Please allow me to use the new name in a formula.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make the Visio Gantt chart template more versatile

I want to use the Gantt chart template to plan tasks and groups of tasks on a 24 hour / 7 days a week timeline. Getting the timescale was pretty straightforward, but I need to be able to set the start time at a specified time on a selected day. I want to input in 24 hr format, such that start time will be entered and displayed as "19 MAY 18 15:30" or similar. Then I would like to be able to input the duration in hours and fraction of hours as " 4.5 hr or 6.25 hr" The end…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow someone to scale a drawing based on a known distance. For example, a building wall, etc.

Many wireless tools support this method of scaling. Allow Visio to automatically scale a page based on the highlighting or tracing over an entitiy's known length. This would be super helpful when importing floorplans and needing to get accurate measurements and connector lengths.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. CAD import failure diagnostic evidence needed

DWG imports can take forever then can fail without any explanation as to what features aren't supported.

If it doesn't fail then it just hangs and needs to be aborted.

An import into Visio 32 bit will fail at say, 20% but finishes on 67bit.

No explanation

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Fix the network drawings

The network shapes has a wrong width. Both racks and equipment is drawn with a horisontal mounting hole spacing of 19", but 19" is the ewquipment total width in the real world. The hole spacing should be 465.12 mm/18.312 inches. See f.x. Wikipedia; 19-inch rack.
    As it is now, customer drawn equipment will not fit in your template rack without being redrawn/resized.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. let me register my visio activation key after i accidently log in with my microsoft account

i just got a key to activate visio through my work place. I downloaded and opened visio and got to a log in screen. I logged in to my Microsoft account and the option to register my key disappeared. I then tried to log out and in several times to look for the option but it was nowhere to be found. it only appeared before I FIRST logged in with my Microsoft account...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Visio 2013 shift when inserting text

Kind time of day
    There is MS Visio 2013
    This application is actively used for creating network diagrams
    The schemes are very large, they contain several thousand different figures
    Recently noticed a bug:
    When inserting text into a shape (copy, paste), the area on the screen is shifted to the right downwards, that is, The figure itself, where the text has just been inserted, disappears from the field of view
    Even recorded a video where this bug is reproduced:
    Https://yadi.sk/i/jURyD5J93MH6ZB

I ask to help to eliminate this behavior
    thank you in advance.

there is a Russian-language branch where this problem…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. As user I would like to make make calendars

As a user I would like to make a calendar for one year or just for a few month. I should be able to choose Start date and how many month should be shown. Month should be shown like January, February og March in columns. Se layout via linket: https://kalendersiden.dk/.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Animations

Add possibility to make animations!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make autosave work

I created Visio drawing, spent lot of time.
    Saved the file.
    During the save procedure Visio crashed.
    At settings I had set autosave time for 5 minutes. But there are no autosave file anywhere.
    What do you guess - will I extend my Visio 365 subscription for a program that is not able to save?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make Visio useable for creating web graphics

In older versions to create a (cropped) PNG, one just had to select 'Fit to drawing'. Now it seems you have to 1) check 'Fit to drawing' 2) Select 'Developer' 3) Show Shape Sheet 4) Scroll Down to Print Properties 5) Zero all four of Page*Margin 5) Close developer spreadsheet. Then repeat for every drawing you do (does not appear to be global). Have used Visio since the early days as tool for creating web graphics, and been a huge fan. But combined with the inability to cleaning create a clean transparent PNG background, Visio is no longer suitable for…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. when saving over an existing file, do not suggest to override: instead, suggest to append the sheets (applicable to excel as well)

I suggest that when I save a visio diagram and I am presenting with the Save As dialog box, and if I select an existing visio file - instead of being prompted on whether I would like the original file to be overwritten, I suggest that I would be given the option of appending my work to the existing file, as an additional sheet

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. I would like to see Visio become more accesible to edu clients

Visio is a great product but it is very difficult to justify the purchase of as a school especially when students will only use for part of a project. Great for teaching computing and want more of my students to be able to access it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Fix a regression bug in recent Visio updates affecting formulas

When opening our Visio template drawing which has formulas referencing page margin/size in Visio desktop with latest update installed, some of the formulas will convert to static values and lose their referenced values which makes our title block broken and completely messed up. If we roll back Visio updates to Build 16.0.4229.1024 everything works perfectly fine again. But as soon as new updates are installed the issue comes back. This is severely affecting our business and customers.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Initialize volume control sooner in boot sequence

Upon turning on TV, volume control via remote control doesn't work until TV completes boot sequence. By this time, sound is already coming out of TV at turn off volume level. Allow users​ to adjust volume control while TV is still booting. Or, add a start volume level in settings so that every time the TV is turned on it will go to an initial start volume level

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. AWS/Google architecture import

I'd like to see visio 2016 update a connector service to cloud providers in order to import stack definitions and create the diagram based on object recognition. I understand there are 3rd party services but it would be a lot safer and easier to manage these details on my thick client and store IAM/user details in visio and have visio blow out a diagram based on JSON symantics. I mean, there are tons of companies doing this but it's just bad form to store corporate data (i.e. network diagrams) on another companies farm, not to mention probably illegal for certain…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base