Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Be able to classify, label and protect Visio diagrams with Microsoft Information Protection sensitivity labels

Word, PowerPoint, Excel and several third party applications support MIP labels to flag the sensitivity and confidentiality of a document, apply protection and enforce display of content markings.
    Visio diagrams include just as much sensitive information as these other document formats, and users should be able to label them in the same way with a consistent user experience. Visio already supports the older RMS protection capabilities, but labels would offer a much better and more complete user experience.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Sharepoint Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Data refresh with coauthoring

I would like to see a feature where when you are co-authoring documents that have an excel data source, anyone can refresh the data. At the moment, this is not possible.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Visio Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. data visualizer

Be able to provide HEADING and TITLE variable in data visualizer wizard.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Populate flowcharts based on pictures

I create a lot of process/business workflows with butcher paper & sticky notes. It would be great if I could take a picture of what I was working on & upload it into Visio. Then, all I would have to do is check to make sure everything was correct (and edit, if needed).

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create 3D rendered view of a 2D floor plan

It is very useful that Visio can create 2D floor plans, import CAD drawings, and link Excel data to shapes.

However, a greater functionality would be including a view window (or separate windows with URL for posting in SharePoint site) showing the 3D rendered model of the 2D floor plan.

Here is an example from another software company.
    https://samposoftware.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/image008.png

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow a user to set more default options such as connector thickness, color, and fonts + ability to select all "like" objects to format.

Allow a user to set more default options such as connector thickness, color, and fonts. Plus the ability to select all "like" objects for formatting purposes. Formatting seems to be one of the biggest bottlenecks and time wasters.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. layers

can you copy a layer from an existing one? selecting multiple items with different layers to then apply an additional layer ends up pushing all of those objects to the common layerset = pain. If you could copy an existing layer objectset then the number of subsequent edits are drastically reduced.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. layers

It would be really good if the Layers dialogue box was independent from the drawing i.e. you can flip through layers AND THEN EDIT THE DRAWING with the layers box still open. Locking the diagram whilst the layers box is open is a pain!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. pdf export checkout

VISIO + SHP: Would be great if the Export to PDF function would be available without checkout, as it is in all other Office applications.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Sharepoint Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Unify precision shape/object movement keyboard shortcuts between PowerPoint & Visio

PowerPoint & Visio folks, Could you work together to unify the key presses for precision movements for shapes? In PowerPoint it is Ctrl+right/left arrows whereas in Visio it is Shift+right/left arrows.

My preference would be for Visio to update with Ctrl+...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow zoom in shapes pane

On high res monitors the shapes are very small. Either use DPI settings or let users zoom the shapes pane.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. pdf to vision

It will be very helpful for us if we have an option to convert PDF format to visio format.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Visio Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Offer Microsoft PowerPoint format as Export option

Users are frequently torn between making diagrams in PowerPoint vs. Visio, because Visio is much more powerful, but end users can't edit them once the image is transferred to PPT. It would be extremely useful to be able to make a diagram in Visio and export it as an editable PPT/PPTX file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Multiple format targets

In general, if a fill colour is applied the a group shape via the UI then all of the sub-shapes will receive that fill as well. You can prevent this from happening by setting the LockFromGroupFormat cell in each sub-shape, however this then removes a simple way of set sub-shape formatting when you do want to have this effect.

It seems to me that we frequently build shapes that contain what might be multiple formatting targets. It would be great to be able to define these within a group shape. For example, my group shape could contain something like the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Extensibility & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add C4 support

Add C4 support. In our architecture diagrams we want to be able to navigate by zoom in, zoom out like in BingMaps!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Photorealistic Shapes

It would be more attractive in the software to update the photorealistic icon shapes, so the diagrams have a relevant and professional visual impact, similar to how it does ConceptDraw DIAGRAM.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add data visualizer templates for Access Database

It would be great to generate flowcharts automatically from Access database like it is done with Excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. allow color by data to color a shape based on the value of a linked cell rather than a row

allow color by data to color a shape based on the value of a linked cell rather than a row

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Org Chart  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Timelines scaling and auto line-up

If you have more then 1 time-line in a drawing have an option to automatically align the time line i.e. if 1jan2020 is in one time line and as well in the other those dates align Horizontally (or ask via pop up at what date they should align). That brings me to my second point scaling, if you have more than 1 time line where size it that a year is (e.g.) 1inch long, there should be apply to other time line option so that the other selected time-line years are also 1 inch long

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Update printing to fill as much paper space as possible (multipage too)

As visio user I want to be able to print my diagrams over several pages with maximum magnification.
    Current state: Now it's time consuming operation to move diagram and check magnification and move print check again.
    Expected: I specify how many pages I could give for printing and visio automatically adjust zoom, paper orientation, diagram position, may be diagram rotation and slight reordering to make prints looks better.

Explanation:
    Orientation - Some diagrams looks better on horizontal page orientation, some on vertical.
    Zoom level: Now zoom function is unified and very simple. But for better printing (and may be layout)…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base