Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

Help us make Visio more Awesome!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Visio Crashes when I uses "Container"... Suggest to fix!

If I have an amount of Flow Charts selected and then go to insert a Container to capture the Flow Charts, then Visio consistently crashes. If I do not select Flow Charts before inserting a Container it all works great.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix broken Visio publishing into HTML page

1. Open any Visio diagram.
    2. Selected menu to save it as HTML page.
    3. On settings of HTML export I select: "Host in Web page" option "Basic" instead of default option "None".

Web page is saved fine. However, it does not open in Internet Explorer. JScript error appears. Detailed description of this bug with all screenshots is written here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_visio-mso_other/broken-visio-publishing-into-html-page/44a8e687-73f1-4a19-a208-57ca27a8d21b

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Exporting to SQL Server from visio

Why would you remove the ability to push the design from Visio to SQL Server? I can find tons of free software to create a DB diagram. The one thing I liked about Visio is that I was able to design the DB and then create the database/tables based on the design directly.

I was going to buy Visio 2016, but this reduction has changed my mind completely. I shall keep using the free software to create designs until this functionality is returned to Visio.

Have a good day

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Align multiple items to one

In a org chart, for example, I remove one person from a column of people. Now I want to bump that up to fill in the now blank space. I should be able to grab the lot of people below the gap and then drag them to where they should be with the alignment guides/helpers showing me based on the top selected person. Currently, no guides or helper appear when you select and then move multiple objects.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add LaTeX export

It would be great to be able to export drawings to LaTeX in a clean always supported way that uses LaTeX fonts. This would be similar to the output from inkscape to pdf+tex

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow disabling of connector auto-updates

Currently if I have fixed my connectors between shapes (e.g. how they point into/out of shapes, how they overlap) when I move or adjust any of the shapes, or the whole block of them, all of the manually adjusted connectors reflow into a jumbled mess.

Adding a way to disable auto-flow or autoupdate of connections would go a long way to help address this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow position tool to override glue

I often use the align and position tools to perfectly locate objects, and I also use glue dots for the same. However, once an object is glued, it no longer responds to these positioning tools (like it's glued down or something...). While this does make a certain amount of sense, I would very much like a setting that would allow the align and position tools to override the glue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Display Image Being Cropped (Live Dynamics for Cropping)

In Visio 2016, when I try to crop an image the actual image disappears, leaving just a boundary box. This makes it nearly impossible to accurately crop the image and requires several rounds of trial and error. I did not have this issue in Visio 2003. In the Options I see that there is a "Live Dynamics" option to keep this from happening when resizing or rotating a figure. Please extend/restore this functionality to cropping images as well.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. IDEF 1X for database design

After bringing back the reverse engineering capability with a smarter look than the current template let us switch between crow-foot/Chen and IDEF 1X notation in the template for reverse engineering.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. I would like Visio to have a function in it to handle Folders.

I would like Visio to have a function in it to handle Folders.
    What I mean is , at Stantec on our server , under a project number , I may go 10-20 folders deep into a project.
    Then it is hard to document what is in all those folders.
    This would be a great application for Visio to take on.

File and Folder Organization , so the project managers can easily see what is where on the server and whether a file naming conversion is being properly applied.

Example

Project 123456
    |
    |Documents
    |Drawings
    |Management
    |Expenses
    |Forms
    |Contracts
    |Phase…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Connect to Power BI's "Analyze in Excel" .odc connection

It would be fantastic if we could use Power BI's "Analyze in Excel" .odc connection.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Extensibility & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow shapes to be copied from Visio into Powerpoint

This way, visuals can be edited across Visio/Powerpoint if necessary.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Visio Express

After all these years of seeing express version of the highly prized visual studio apps, why don't we have a Visio Express offering yet? Visio being more expensive than even office, makes it out of reach for a lot of people.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow the disabling of anti-aliasing on imported images

There should be some simple way to disable anti-aliasing of pasted-in or imported images, either in the Advanced Options settings for the program, or in the Format > Compress Picture settings for individual images.

My job requires me to trace many images of objects in Visio, which can often be very complex. Visio seems to "smooth" (anti-alias) any imported images, which, for some reason, completely eats up performance, making every small action take a long time to compute. The amount of this performance decrease depends on the the image, as well as the zoom level, often getting progressively worse as…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Update Link feature to add/remove employees

The link feature works great for updating employees names and titles, but it would be great if it could automatically add/remove employees removed from the data source, and move under a different manager if they change positions. Currently I have to run a new org chart every time i make a change, because when I manually add an employee they will not link to the data sheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Org Chart  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add an quick select option to reverse the way an arrow is pointing

Very easy if there would be a right click feature which allows you to reverse the walk the arrow is pointing without having to drag the connectors to other places which sometimes changes the layout of the line completely.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Incorporate "Dragon NaturallySpeaking Nuance" for mapping and facilitating in real-time.

Allow user customization for how you conduct the session, e.g. "Process, text . . ., decision, text" etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Visio Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. bring back the Re-Layout capability for Crow's foot database notation

The Re-Layout option used to move the entities in a crow's foot database notation template into the shape/sequence selected. This function no longer works with Visio 2013 or 2016. It only alters the positions of the connectors instead of the entities, even if you group the drawing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Save "AutoRecover" Information by default

Have "Save AutoRecover information every ## minutes" turned on by default

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)