Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. automatic arrangements

If you have multiple shapes that you want to arrange symmetically, it would be helpful to have a positioning feature that works without connectors

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Org Chart  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Private use unicode characters like Segoe MDL2 Assets

Your colleague Mike Jacobs at the UWP team asked me to file this report. I hope my voice finally gets heart:

Visio used to be a good tool to design windows screen concepts. Therefore it's very surprising, that even the newest Viso 2016 doesn't support Microsofts recommended new way of using icons in the UWP world. Have an update: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/design/style/segoe-ui-symbol-font#how-do-i-get-this-font

Nowadays Microsoft shares all its icons in a font named "Segoe MDL2 Assets". Each icon is a character of the font in its private use section.

Check the links on that page for the exact malfunctional behavior: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/windows-uwp/issues/779#issuecomment-409345297

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Undo stack with more than 99 / unlimited operations

A maximum of 99 undo operation is currently allowed, with a default value with as low as 20 operations - this is not enough for some experimental changes...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add advanced filtering capabilities for visibility and dynamic application of properties in bulk

It would be VERY useful if there were a way to set up filters that work like this:
    1. give the filter a name
    2. Add criteria to the filter based on properties of shapes (e.g. master name, a shape data value, a value of a particular cell on the shape sheet, whether or not the shape is on a particular layer)
    3. Allow the criteria to be combined in a hierarchy that allows ORs and ANDs to apply in whatever order and grouping makes sense
    4. Allow the user to perform some action based on the filter
    - set…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add "Table Report" on database property back to Visio 2016

Hi following this article online and found that it would be very much helpful if we have this functionality in the Visio version of 2016.

_http://www.leerichardson.com/2007/05/export-visio-database-table-names-to.html

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Visio 64 Bit version

I use Office 365 64bit, and i cannot install visio, i use 64bit to open 1M row excel file so i wont go back to 32 bit.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Hyperlink button bug

When you add or change a hyperlink on an item you have to select the hyperlink button twice before the menu opens. It should open the first time you select the hyperlink button. Visio 2016.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remove the defects in the text editing from the colour by value function for data objects

When data is loaded from a data source the colour by value feature does not alter the text colour when a text colour is selected.

No other colour than black text is displayed.

It is also impossible to bulk edit the text colour of all the shapes by selecting them all and changing the font colour on the ribbon.

This defect should be remediate.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Extensibility & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. support arrows that point away from endpoint

All of the arrow ends I've seen in Visio point "towards" the endpoint / shape. I was surprised to see that I couldn't find a simple radio button or similar to set the direction of the endpoint to point AWAY from the endpoint.

When creating a diagram with long connectors it is very useful to have an arrow at the beginning of the connector showing the flow of (data; process; etc.) AWAY from the "source" shape while the arrow at the "destination" shape points TOWARDS that shape.

I've learned to create custom endpoints but this is extremely time-consuming with the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. add shapes for Xbox...

it's a Microsoft product and it's pretty much a computer too!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Support links in Process Documentation - export to Word

It would be very desirable if the Word documentation generation feature was intelligent enough to establish links from shapes to related diagrams (e.g., drilldowns) and accumulated those diagrams too within the report.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. page formula that references a renamed shape should be allowed to use the new name of the shape

I have a shape that appears on a page. I have renamed the shape to make it self-documenting. I want to create a user-defined cell on the page that refers to the position of the shape. When I try to do this, Visio won't let me use the new name for the shape; instead I have to use the Sheet.ID name, which is harder to understand or to trace back later. Please allow me to use the new name in a formula.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add support for more databases in reverse engineering

Add visio drivers to support more databases in the reverse engineer addin (interested in SAP HANA)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. HEX colour input field.

I'd really like if I could input colour values as HEX, it makes it easier to acquire colour palettes and schemes and bring them into Visio using a simpler format then entering in 3xRGB values.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Visio Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fix the search for 'women' / 'woman' to return people

Fix the shape search so that a query for 'woman' or 'women' returns any gender neutral people/person shapes like searching for 'man' does.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Visio 2013 backwards compatibility failure.

I am a solutions architecture consultant and have been using Microsoft Visio Premium 2010 since it first came out. In 2013, I recommended to a client of mine to install Microsoft Visio Premium. They installed 2013. I was mortified to find that the advanced support for UML and database modeling was missing. I told my client that they must have installed standard by accident. Because Microsoft would never lose backwards compatibility. I was wrong. They had installed Professional. The feature were discontinued without warning. A Microsoft product that is not backwards compatible. The master class list is critical to creating…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Gridlines not visible on 2nd monitor

I have currently latest version of Visio 2016 Professional and when I enable grid on document and move Visio to 2nd screen the gridlines are not visible. This might be due to the monitor settings as well, but could this be a bug ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make the Visio Gantt chart template more versatile

I want to use the Gantt chart template to plan tasks and groups of tasks on a 24 hour / 7 days a week timeline. Getting the timescale was pretty straightforward, but I need to be able to set the start time at a specified time on a selected day. I want to input in 24 hr format, such that start time will be entered and displayed as "19 MAY 18 15:30" or similar. Then I would like to be able to input the duration in hours and fraction of hours as " 4.5 hr or 6.25 hr" The end…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base