Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make autosave work

I created Visio drawing, spent lot of time.
    Saved the file.
    During the save procedure Visio crashed.
    At settings I had set autosave time for 5 minutes. But there are no autosave file anywhere.
    What do you guess - will I extend my Visio 365 subscription for a program that is not able to save?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ISO 9001 Template

I think it would be useful to have a ISO 9001 template including the objects this framework use.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. PMBOK Template

Just as Visio already has the ITIL template to draw shapes for this framework, it would be great to include the proper template for PMBOK to draw shapes for project management framework.

For example shapes for life cycle, initiation phase, planning phase, building and controlling phase, closing phase, project charter, project, program leader, project leader, findings, objective, budget and so on

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. COBIT Template

Just as Visio already has the ITIL template to draw shapes for this framework, it would be great to include the proper template for COBIT to draw shapes for IT government, audit & security. For example shapes for domains, risk, benefit, resource, control, principle, need, stakeholder, goal, etc.

I think the ISACA community will be happy to collaborate in this template (I will be happy as a ISACA member).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Ability to download add templates so that I can choose that with new

With file new, the list of available templates are those provided by MS. Please provide an ability to download/create templates so that I can choose that with file new - and use my own template

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make Visio useable for creating web graphics

In older versions to create a (cropped) PNG, one just had to select 'Fit to drawing'. Now it seems you have to 1) check 'Fit to drawing' 2) Select 'Developer' 3) Show Shape Sheet 4) Scroll Down to Print Properties 5) Zero all four of Page*Margin 5) Close developer spreadsheet. Then repeat for every drawing you do (does not appear to be global). Have used Visio since the early days as tool for creating web graphics, and been a huge fan. But combined with the inability to cleaning create a clean transparent PNG background, Visio is no longer suitable for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Drill down behind objects

Drill down behind objects

It would be nice to have change to drill down the view behind overlaping objects.
    Meaning that I often have many overlaping objects that should not be moved front or back. But when I have to change objects behind some other object it's a pain to get them in sight. If it would be possible to drill the view easily behind other objects all changes would be much easier to carry out.
    E.g. alt+shift+mouse roll would fit for this purpose

Similar feature would work for PowerPoint also.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Auto name tabs on org charts

When creating an org chart from excel, name the tabs created using the field on the excel file. For instance break page by department
    There are 4 departments: Sales, Marketing, HR, Finance
    The tabs should be named by department.
    Specially for large organizations with more than 20 departments. I think it would be useful

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Org Chart  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. I suggest to include more options to break page by on org charts for instance: by department, by org or any other field

When creating org charts from excel, having more options to break pages by department or org or any other field in the excel file would be helpful

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Org Chart  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. align lines / boxes diagonally according to one side of their shape

can't align things on a certain angle / center them on a diagonal or inclined axis.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. when saving over an existing file, do not suggest to override: instead, suggest to append the sheets (applicable to excel as well)

I suggest that when I save a visio diagram and I am presenting with the Save As dialog box, and if I select an existing visio file - instead of being prompted on whether I would like the original file to be overwritten, I suggest that I would be given the option of appending my work to the existing file, as an additional sheet

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Remove the limits on Excel compatibility.

Before MS bought Visio I used it to track my companies PCs with a Visio Drawing inserted into an Excel spreadsheet. I could link PCs to a line on the Spreadsheet and when I needed to move a PC I could keep the inventory and location in the building up to date easily. Then MS bought it and within a few updates the compatibility between Visio and Excel degraded and I could not longer use Visio and Excel in that way. It remained degraded 'til the day I retired a couple of years ago.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Provide multiple mouse drag selection types

When selecting objects by dragging the mouse to create a selection box, a nice feature to have would be to have it select either only what is completely contained within the box or everything the box contains and touches, depending on which direction the box is dragged in. Autodesk's AutoCAD has a good example of this.
    Another idea may be to have Ctrl+drag make a freeform line that selects anything it touches. Adobe Illustrator has something like that with their pen tool.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. I suggest you make the "close X" in the upper right corner work like every other Microsoft package. When I use the upper right close X on a

I suggest you make the "close X" in the upper right corner work like every other Microsoft software package. When I use the upper right close X on a Word document it only closes the current window. When I use the close X on an Outlook email or appointment it only closes the current email or appointment. HOWEVER, when I use the close X in Visio, it shuts down the entire program, not just the current drawing. This is ridiculous! Thank God for the save question on exit or I'd have lost significant progress on my current flowchart. Please fix…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Let users have more control over cross functional flowcharts

Nothing within a Visio cross functional flowchart seems to work properly when it comes time to format the chart and make it look nice. Please get users more control rather than locking them out of making necessary changes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. I would like to see Visio become more accesible to edu clients

Visio is a great product but it is very difficult to justify the purchase of as a school especially when students will only use for part of a project. Great for teaching computing and want more of my students to be able to access it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Show the cursor location

Please change the programing to show the cursor location within the text associated with a connector. It's very hard to get the text to align right when you can't identify where the cursor is currently located. It does this for the text within a shape but not the text that is associated with the connectors.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base