Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Multiple format targets

In general, if a fill colour is applied the a group shape via the UI then all of the sub-shapes will receive that fill as well. You can prevent this from happening by setting the LockFromGroupFormat cell in each sub-shape, however this then removes a simple way of set sub-shape formatting when you do want to have this effect.

It seems to me that we frequently build shapes that contain what might be multiple formatting targets. It would be great to be able to define these within a group shape. For example, my group shape could contain something like the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Extensibility & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add C4 support

Add C4 support. In our architecture diagrams we want to be able to navigate by zoom in, zoom out like in BingMaps!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Photorealistic Shapes

It would be more attractive in the software to update the photorealistic icon shapes, so the diagrams have a relevant and professional visual impact, similar to how it does ConceptDraw DIAGRAM.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add data visualizer templates for Access Database

It would be great to generate flowcharts automatically from Access database like it is done with Excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. allow color by data to color a shape based on the value of a linked cell rather than a row

allow color by data to color a shape based on the value of a linked cell rather than a row

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Org Chart  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Timelines scaling and auto line-up

If you have more then 1 time-line in a drawing have an option to automatically align the time line i.e. if 1jan2020 is in one time line and as well in the other those dates align Horizontally (or ask via pop up at what date they should align). That brings me to my second point scaling, if you have more than 1 time line where size it that a year is (e.g.) 1inch long, there should be apply to other time line option so that the other selected time-line years are also 1 inch long

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Update printing to fill as much paper space as possible (multipage too)

As visio user I want to be able to print my diagrams over several pages with maximum magnification.
    Current state: Now it's time consuming operation to move diagram and check magnification and move print check again.
    Expected: I specify how many pages I could give for printing and visio automatically adjust zoom, paper orientation, diagram position, may be diagram rotation and slight reordering to make prints looks better.

Explanation:
    Orientation - Some diagrams looks better on horizontal page orientation, some on vertical.
    Zoom level: Now zoom function is unified and very simple. But for better printing (and may be layout)…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Connectors between Containers

I cannot make a connector in Visio/Excel that maps between data containers/tables. I suppose this probably makes sense, but it would be sweet either way. I have ensured all the Step IDs are unique, so it would be nice if I could draw connections between different containers on visio and have the links appear in the Excel while using data visualizer.

Background: I am trying to have one visio diagram that has multiple containers, each container is linked to its own table in excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Refreshing diagrams

When I refresh my visio diagram from Excel, all the shapes are reorganized around the page. So I go through a process of putting them in the right space, then when I add a diagram from Excel, it undoes all that work and re-organizes them how it sees fit.

Background: I am trying to have one visio diagram that has multiple containers, each container is linked to its own table in excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. export to Excel

I'd like to export the visio objects and content (example Network diagrams) into separate columns of different objects and displayed text, and connections between them.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add missing Actions ( like "Initialize variable") in the Triggers and Action tab for Power Automate

On the Triggers and Actions tab of the Prepare to Export the action "Initialize variable" is not listed. Also the rest of the related variable actions are not listed.

It would be helpful to add all the triggers and actions that are available in Power automate so that we can make our diagram complete.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  BPMN  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make text in angled text boxes selectable/searchable after saving as PDF

In Visio 2016, any text box that is completely vertical or horizontal (0°, 90°, 180°, -90°) is selectable and searchable after saving as a PDF however, if the text box is at an angle other than any of the above angles, the text is not selectable or searchable after saving as a PDF.

This was possible with Visio 2010.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Provide an option to change the font size IN the shapesheet windows

The ShapeSheet windows use a tiny font with cells just big enough for that font. That font is very tiny and difficult for my older eyes to see. I would like to be able to resize that font (and the cells) without having to change the screen resolution. Changing the screen resolution would reduce the size of everything else on the screen. I can zoom into my drawing if something is too small. I cannot zoom in for the ShapeSheet windows, and that's the ONE thing that's too small.
    Please provide an option for the user to specify the font…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Distribution function option to set the shapes at a set spacing.

Currently the Distribute function places shapes based on the position of two extreme shapes. So the result can be overlap or large gaps. How about a way of placing shapes that have a set gap between them?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Existing ideas

Allideasthatpertain

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Delete all

microsoft #outlook #data #everythingthatpertainstothisordeal

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Visio Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Provide Network IP Control - for integration with Control4, Crestron, etc.

Provide IP Control for Vizio TV's. LG, Samsung, Sony, and other manufacturers offer this for simple integration for smart home automation used by Control4, Crestron, AMX, Savant, etc. Sony even includes 2-way drivers for Control4 via SDDP Protocol (Simple Device Discovery Protocol) which is very easy to implement.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Excel to Visio

We are just discovering the ability to create process maps in Excel and export to Visio. This seems like it has potential to save us a lot of time.

We would like the ability to do the following:
    1. Customize the Header (Title) area
    2. Specify color for the various Function groups
    3. Add a standard shape (Divided Process) to the Shapes dropdown list
    4. Add a customer shape (Divided Subprocess) saved to More Shapes > Favorites > My Shapes to the Shapes dropdown list

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  BPMN  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Floorplan/Seating chart linked to AD Users

Allow creation of interactive seating chart/floorplan so that clicking on a user at a location pops AD user info (e.g. Delve details). Allow searching for a user/printer to find location.Results could be embedded in Sharepoint page, Teams tab, etc.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Extensibility & API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow For Co-Equal Partners at the Top of an Org Chart

A user should be able to generate an Org Chart with co-equal partners at the top of the structure. Allow the flexibility to set up different types of businesses through the Wizard.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base