Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add A Lock/Unlock toggle to the Right Click menu to lock shapes within a layer.

Often when working with shapes that reside within or overlapping other shapes, when selecting a shape, especially selecting multiple shapes (shift-click), or copying a shape (ctrl-click), the underlaying shape gets selected also.

If I'm lucky, after several attempts, I can select the shapes I want, but often, I have to assign the background shape to another (new) layer, then lock that layer, and remember to unlock it and remove from the temporary layer when I'm done.

What I am proposing is the ability to lock a shape, by selecting it, right clicking on it, and selecting a Lock/Unlock item from…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Data visualizer - Include multiple data visualizers in same visio file.

I have multiple flows which I want to show in same visio file. I want to visualize every flow a seperate visio page. At the moment it's not possible to add a second data visualizer within the same file. Please make it able to create multiple Data visualizers from (multiple) excel(s) into same visio file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add missing Actions ( like "Initialize variable") in the Triggers and Action tab for Power Automate

On the Triggers and Actions tab of the Prepare to Export the action "Initialize variable" is not listed. Also the rest of the related variable actions are not listed.

It would be helpful to add all the triggers and actions that are available in Power automate so that we can make our diagram complete.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  BPMN  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Excel to Visio

We are just discovering the ability to create process maps in Excel and export to Visio. This seems like it has potential to save us a lot of time.

We would like the ability to do the following:
    1. Customize the Header (Title) area
    2. Specify color for the various Function groups
    3. Add a standard shape (Divided Process) to the Shapes dropdown list
    4. Add a customer shape (Divided Subprocess) saved to More Shapes > Favorites > My Shapes to the Shapes dropdown list

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  BPMN  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. how do you download visio?

I want the full VISIO version on my laptop. I'm using the web version and it says download to Full Desktop version . But it doesn't work?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow closing file without having to save to SharePoint

When I open, with Visio 2016, a Visio file from SharePoint, it opens the file ready to edit. If I try to close the file or exit the program it does not respond. I get no dialog saying that I must save the file. (This happens even if I have not changed anything in the file.) If I save the file, it allows me to close the file. However, I do not like to litter SharePoint with additional "versions" without any changes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Sharepoint Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Distribution function option to set the shapes at a set spacing.

Currently the Distribute function places shapes based on the position of two extreme shapes. So the result can be overlap or large gaps. How about a way of placing shapes that have a set gap between them?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Gantt Charts by the hour

Make it possible to create Gantt Charts by the hour, so it is possible to enter start and end date AND time as well as Duarion in hours (e.g. 4,5h). Please!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please fix the ARP display data for Project and Visio 365

Please fix the ARP data that is displayed for Project and Visio 365. When installed, it display Visio Professional Plus 2016 instead of indicating that it's a 365 product. Causes some confusion in mixed environments with both Professional Plus 2016 and 365.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add right/left arrow buttons at each end of the Page bar, allowing scrolling through the Page tabs.

Having Arrow Buttons at each end of the Page Ribbon, allowing sideways scrolling through pages would be awesome. Often while working on Page A, I need to check something on page Q. So I open the "All box, scroll through the pages, select Q, and check out what I need, copy it, etc. Then to return to page A, I realize that page B is now the first page on the ribbon, so I have to go back to the "All" box, scroll up to A, and Select it.

If I could just "Click" on a "Left" button, or a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Write SharePoint meta data directly from within Visio

There are lots of scenarios where you have to store your Visio file in a SharePoint library. If this library has columns that are obligatory, you are not able to save and checkin your document (this will throw a 3400 error message), but have to leave it checked out, close the file, wait until SharePoint also has reckognized that the file is closed and can then change meta data and check in only from within the SharePoint library. As for compliance relevant documents this is standard for many competitive tools and it works fine in Word and other Office applications,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Sharepoint Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Modernize the Visio icon

Modernize the Visio icon. All the other products have a new look and this makes the Visio icon look dated

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Radio built into the tv like Sirius

Put a radio that you can use and watch tv at the same time.For instance when you watch football you can listen to it on the radio but watch it on the tv but hear the radio commentators instead of tv commentators

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Create a native Mac OS X version

Create a native Mac OS X version

84 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix <include> <extend> connectors in Use Case Digs asap!

Use Case Diagrams are hard to deal with when <include> <extend> arrows/connectors work poorly. Make user orient the direction of <include> <extend> connectors i.e. let user decide the shape in which it should connect goals, not only single straight way connection should be allowed, it overlaps the goals and lines hence making dig look messy.
    Please fix this asap! People don't buy visio to frustrate themselves when using it. Thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. For all Office apps, on the page where we enter our license key - it should display the version number for the software we are installing

For all Office apps, on the page where we enter our license key - it should display the version number for the software we are installing

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow connection to SQL Server 2017 for reverse engineering databases

Currently, Visio Pro 365 (32 bit and 64 bit) does not allow connections to databases created using SQL Server 2017.

Please add this capability.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Update Printer Defaults

The Print dialogue always reverts back to the default "Print Entire Document" setting even when switching between sheets in the same documents. Depending on the scale of individual sheets and the number of them this can result in DOZENS of sheets being sent to the printer. Why can't there be an option where the user can set the default print option? "Current Page Only" is far more useful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Linux support

Support for Linux client , or make Visio online plan 2 feature compatible with Desktop client

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base