Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Diode bridge in Visio

There should be an electircal element called diode bridge. This element is used a lot in electrical circuts and it's composed of four diodes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Azure and AWS stencils available on Visio desktop

Visio online has updated Azure and AWS stencils, but they are not available for the desktop version.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. allow a part of a grouped Master to avoid being scaled with the rest of the Group

Please fix the bug or oversight that does not allow a part of a grouped Master to avoid being scaled with the rest of the Group

When I "group" any protected shapes with other shapes, their protections are overridden. For example, if the protected shape is in a group, and I scale the group size, the "protected" shape scales. (!!)

This was confirmed by MS here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficevisio-msowin10-mso_o365b/keep-a-shapes-protections-when-shape-is-in-a-group/63ea69f3-3859-40ce-a0ff-ab85be306e1d

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. How about Auto Save!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost all of my work because Microsoft cant even put auto save on their software!!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. auto contour creation

I would like to pick a line or arc and drag it. While I am dragging it, contour line would be created in staggering intervals. so, the person using this would drag a line to the center of what would be cylinder or curved surface and the would see 3 lines or arcs ghost out from the copied line. The interval of the lines would be 1 unit of distance then the 2nd line would be 2 units, the 3rd would be 4 units and there would be 7 units between the last line and the final pick point. The…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Develop for Multi-Core processors

When rendering complex geometries Visio runs terribly. Modern processors are multi-core yet visio doesn't take advantage of the available processor cores nor does it take advantage of the available GPU. Visio could be so much more efficient if it were taking advantage of all of the available resources available to it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support multidimensional drawings

I frequently use Visio to create architecture diagrams for computer systems. These diagrams often have multiple levels to them and it would be helpful for Visio to represent these. For example, I'll often use a cloud shape to represent Azure or AWS and then I put shapes within it to represent services they're running. The problem is that this often leads to a busy drawing that's difficult to consume.

It would be helpful to be able to zoom in to the cloud shape and place the shapes for services within it, similar to how one can zoom in and out…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow everyone in a Microsoft Teams Channel tab to view Visio diagram

Everyone in a tenant should be able to view a visio diagram that is posted as a Microsoft Teams channel tab (or a Sharepoint page). Currently Plan 1 is required to view diagrams. Plan 1 should be required to edit/participate in a visio diagram, but not view or comment on Visio diagrams.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Open separate document in new Visio window / instance

When I open a new file (using File menu), open a new Visio window/instance, like Excel, Word etc, rather than open the new document in a new window within the same instance, meaning I need to use the View window to switch between documents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add wavy/sine lines/shapes

Add options for wavy/sine lines, either through line/arc tool or through shapes. Ideally, the line should be customizable both with "height" of the sine and "number" of wave. For the with, it should give the option to specify fixed number or fixed sine width when changing the line length

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Include on ribbon the boolean operations, i.e. union, intersect, combine etc. It's a nuisance to do manually, prob. since Visio 2010.

Include on ribbon the boolean operations, i.e. union, intersect, combine etc. It's a nuisance to do manually, prob. since Visio 2010.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Essay

I think that a thesis roadmap and essay design would be a great and much-needed addition to the templates for diagrams.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I suggest you add the ability to set line jump based on line type, not just orientation, Horizontal/Vertical

When drawing process diagrams the line types used have a hierarchy of importance. So when a top level line( a process line) crosses a lower level line( an instrument line) the line jump setting should be able to force the lower level line to always jump the higher level line.
    Currently you can only set to jump vertical lines or jump horizontal lines

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Custom Data Graphic

I would like to create a custom Data graphic that would allow me to choose the style and all of the parameters for the graphic and them save for future use.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow users to pan using "wasd"

When moving shapes around on a large visio document, it is preferable to use mouse and keyboard. In addition to existing shortcuts allowing users to use shift or ctrl with the mouse scroll buttons, include toggles for using "wasd" keys to pan, so the user doesn't need to move their hand to the arrow keys.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. PDF export to include high resolution option

Would like to have option of a high resolution option on the PDF Export dialog box. This would help zooming in on highly populated diagrams.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Hide Data Graphic label of empty link.

If a Data Graphic link doesn't contain information, give the option to hide the label.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Provide the Crime Scene Investigation template in Japanese

The Crime Scene Investigation template for Visio is currently available in the US. It would be great if the template would be available in Japanese

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Decision Model and Notation (DMN)

The following is taken from https://www.omg.org/dmn/

DMN is a modeling language and notation for the precise specification of business decisions and business rules. DMN is easily readable by the different types of people involved in decision management. These include: business people who specify the rules and monitor their application; business analysts.

DMN is designed to work alongside BPMN and/or CMMN, providing a mechanism to model the decision-making associated with processes and cases. While BPMN, CMMN and DMN can be used independently, they were carefully designed to be complementary. Indeed, many organizations require a combination of process models for their prescriptive…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add Customer Journey Map to the available template

Add the Customer Journey Map template and elements to capture the customer experience, expectation, objective and interaction with the company business processes. This can be linked to the company process modelled in BPMN

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base