Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

Help us make Visio more Awesome!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Visio Electrical Circuit diagram symbols should conform to the NEC codes as published by the NFPA.

Visio 16 Professional: The Electrical Circuit symbols do not conform to the NEC codes as published by the NFPA.

Please change the symbols to conform to those standards. Otherwise, Visio is useless. We have to turn to other software.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Visio Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Access reverse engineering

As others, I signed the online Visio to draw several ERD from several Access databases; I already have an LucidChart account, but they do not have a reverse engineering for mdb/accdb files.
    So, I tryed the ODBC driver, selected the Access driver mdb/accdb, selected tables and... nothing.
    Error in all tables: Error! Cannot extract column definition for the table/view 'Eventos'. The definition is not available or you may not have sufficient privileges. Please check with your database administrator.
    The accdb is not protected...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Database &UML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Microsoft Visio 2016 and if..else..then box does not fit the Activity Diagram as I want it to be

In Visio when I choose Activity Diagram (Sent and received Messaging system among) and place if...else..then box, that box doesn't fit the activity diagram as I wanted it to be. So I have to condense all the actors and messages closer or smaller to fit the if..else..then. And it's kind of tedious and a hassle if you have lots of actors and messages at the top. Am I missing something or is this a bug? Last semester I was in Software Design Pattern and Unified Modelling Language course and all the students in my class had this same problem. My…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Fix Data Visualizer so it does not redraw diagrams when you add a data graphics field

I love the ability to link an Excel spreadsheet to a Visio Data Visualizer (Cross Functional Flowchart). It's great for assembling roadmap visuals from spreadsheet data. The problem is that after I align the objects on the chart within their lane, if I add a data graphic field, all of my layout changes are thrown out and the chart is scrambled.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please make Visio use the same colour palettes as PowerPoint, Word etc

Please make the Vision shape palettes use the same colour themes, gradients and effects as PowerPoint, Word etc.

The current implementation of Visio 2016 has a very different look and feel to all other MS Office tools for the way that the colours and gradients default, which is very disconcerting and makes it hard to apply enterprise colour guidelines consistently.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add shapes for Cellular Network entities like, HLR, VLR, MSC, SGSN, HSS, MME, GGSN, etc. Do not see these in current Visio 2016 shapes.

Add shapes for Cellular Network entities like, HLR, VLR, MSC, SGSN, HSS, MME, GGSN, STP, SCP, SSP, eNB, etc. Do not see these in current Visio 2016 shapes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. When I insert a picture in the format zhpeg or png in the file Vise, the quality of this picture is lost. It becomes very blurry. The pictur

Hi! When I insert a picture in the file Visio (format of picture - jpg, png, bmp ...), the quality of this picture is lost. It becomes very blurry. The picture is compressed. How to make the picture does not lose the original quality? Thank you! )

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Improve object selection/ add filtering capabilities in the database reverse engineer addin

Add filtering capabilities based on names (including wildcards), type, schema, ... when selecting the tables to import. Scrolling and clicking individually doesn't work great when dealing with several hundreds / thousands tables/views in the list.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Improve embedding Visio in rest of office suite

Make it easier to embed/copy/paste Visio diagrams into other Office suite documents (and generally in Windows), without the file sizes ballooning.

Usually the best way is to save as .jpg and insert the .jpg file which is a lot of effort, and doesn't always print well

An "save as" PPTX capability (saving all the pages as non-editable pictures) would also be useful--with controls on page layout, use of an existing PowerPoint Template/master etc.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Provide the print capability (or copy paste) to see the subordinate icon one uses Subordinates>Hide Subordinates.

Provide the print capability (or copy paste to word or powerpoint) to see the subordinate icon when one uses Subordinates>Hide Subordinates. When setting up an Organization Chart with hundreds of employees or more, not all can be viewed or printed on a single sheet. The use of synchronized subordinates is helpful and allows for viewing these departments across a number of pages; however, Visio shows a small hierarchy icon on a manager when they are hidden but when you attempt to print (or copy paste into another document) the icon does not appear.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Org Chart  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fix the text spacing (kerning) issues that have returned in Visio 2016

It appears that the letter spacing (kerning) issue that was common in Visio 2013 and then fixed in Visio 2016 has returned in Visio 2016, Version 1703, Build 7967.2139. This is an annoyance to many and a major problem for those of us using Visio to create figures and diagrams for technical publications.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Data Visualizer to Visio 2016

Is there a plan to add Data Visualizer to Visio 2016 too? Right now it looks like it is only available for Visio Pro for Office 365. Thanks!

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Reverse engineering on database

If it cannot even return the current relationships among the tables, how it could be named as reverse engineering for databases?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Share/ collaborate in drawing

Allow to share a drawing between mutliple users so they can collaborate and edit a document together (like in Word, Excel, Powerpoint).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Visio Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix the way text is selected. I want to start the selection where I click not where my cursor is.

Currently the text selection starts at my cursor location and ends where I click highlighting everything in between. This is the ONLY product that has this behavior. Make it so my selection starts where I click and hold down my left mouse and ends where I move to and release left mouse.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Support more than one text block per shape OR CONNECTOR

Visio should natively support more than one text block per shape OR CONNECTOR.

Database ER connectors are a natural for this; I can imagine an overall "relationship" text block somewhere in the middle, with text blocks at either end as well. (A secondary issue with connectors is that some of the specialized built-in connectors don't accept modifications, such as line width, gracefully, so I end up using "regular" connectors).

In shapes with distinct areas (i.e. that have one or more lines crossing the shape) it makes sense to have a text "title" in the upper region and a "description" or…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fix Picture Tools / Format Picture / Transparency so that it does not "blur" photos while it makes them transparent.

The "Format Picture" / "Transparency" tool unacceptably blurs the subject image as it makes it transparent. This is a flaw with an important functionality and needs to be fixed. Visio 2006 performed this task perfectly. I look forward to the fix; thanks.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. I suggest you make import and export of GraphML possible

I suggest you make import and export of GraphML possible

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Simple Organization Chart for creating a WBS

Please provide simple Organization Chart Shapes to facilitate creating a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) - the existing Org Chart Templates are over the top

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Org Chart  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make fullscreen mode useful

Visio is great, no doubts about this. However, I'm surprised (even amazed!) how poorly supported is full screen mode, for both work and presentations. There is a Presentation Mode (Visio 2016) available, but due to the lack of Pan&Zoom support it's pretty much useless I'm afraid :( Also, I wish I could work with block diagrams in Full Screen mode with only relevant Panes (e.g. shapes) when using my laptop, where every inch of display area is absolutely critical. Are there any plans to address these concerns? These day's I'm forced to print out my diagrams into PDFs for full…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base