Visio on Desktop

Welcome to the Visio on Desktop feedback forum! We love hearing from customers and partners. To help us make Visio more awesome, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this forum to hear your ideas and suggestions. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy , including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• As soon as you start entering a new idea, a list of similar ideas might show up, allowing you to either vote for an existing idea or create a new one.

• There is no restriction on votes but you can vote any idea only once. hence vote for ideas that you want to see in future releases of Visio

• When you create a new idea you will be able to pick a category. You can then filter by categories on the right sidebar. If you feel we need to add some categories please let us know.

• You can add #hashtags to your idea description for tagging! it makes it easier to search for similar ideas.

Looking forward for your ideas

Help us make Visio more Awesome!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bundle Visio Pro in Business and Enterprise Office 365 Bundles (such as E3)

The only way to get Visio Pro for Office 365 is to add on a single license that costs more than the entire Office suite combined. I'd suggest bundling Visio in the ProPlus and E3 (and higher) Office 365 bundles. Visio used to be a pretty standard software application for businesses. Don't treat it as if it's not part of the same suite, at least not for the larger bundles.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow editing of shapes stored in OneDrive for Business

In my experience, shapes cannot be edited if they are stored in a OneDrive for Business account.

They can be edited if they are stored in a OneDrive Personal account or of course locally on the computer in use.

This doesn't make much sense from a usability point of view; there's no warning or error message, you just can't edit them and you have to figure this limitation out for yourself.

Please allow us to store our custom templates in OneDrive for Business and have them editable in place there.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. three key fixes to make visio more usable..

As a long term sufferer of visio ( both my current and previous employers have had it as their default drawing package ~ 18yrs ) and given that it seems likely I will be forced to use it for some time more, I wanted to reach out to Microsoft with some suggestions that might help to get rid of all those 'visio sucks - where can I get a proper drawing program from?' messages that abound on the internet forums. So here goes:

(1) Grids:

Visio uses grids which have zoom in steps like 1:2:5:10. The ratios between these grids…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Modeling Azure ARM Template in Visio - Visualize, Generate or reverse engineer Azure ARM templates

Within IoC (Infrastructure as a Code) and Software defined Data Center concept Azure offers ability to model or define Resource Group model as a JSON template. However, Visio is one of the most common tools to design and Visualize Infrastructure. It would be natural to use Visio to model Azure Resource Group and generate ARM template, or reverse existing Resource group to the visualized model. Look at http://armtviz.io/ as an example. Also, Visio already has Azure templates and shapes ad work should be focusing on understanding ARM semantics and implement JSON serialization

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please allow users to copy a page to a different diagram

While we can duplicate pages within the same diagram, there seems to be no UI for copying an entire page to a separate diagram. This as per https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Can-I-copy-a-page-in-a-Visio-drawing-05301974-cd3f-4044-8a70-d3c20bb46d1b seems to be a limitation since 2007. Can we look into this? Unable to copy a page to another file seems really strange when we compare it with other Office applications such as Word or Excel.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 100 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add ability to save out each tab as a separate file

It would be great to be able to break a Visio file with lots of tabs/pages into a separate files for each tab/page without having to manually copy each one, paste it into a new project, and save it.

In documents with lots of figures, I like to be able to work on all of them within a single file, but at the end our publications process requires breaking them back out into separate files.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Zoom & Pan Customization

Zoom: Add a toggle that can reverse the zoom direction when rolling the mouse wheel (i.e. when toggled, rolling down will zoom in instead of zooming out).

Pan: Replace the current pan scheme (hold mouse button 3 and the view moves across the page in the direction of the mouse) in favour of "grabbing the sheet" (hold mouse button 3 and the sheet moves across the view as if you were moving a piece of paper across a surface). Either that, or add the ability to toggle between the two schemes.
    Also, refine pan functionality so that panning is 1:1…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Use the proper hyperlink Description, when exporting to SVG

Today, when a VSD or VSDX is exported to SVG, the Hyperlink Description is lost. Instead of showing the real description, the block name is used, which makes the description not usable in the SVG.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Pages Groups

Similar to OneNote where many pages would be grouped under a collapsable page group.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide Shapes for PowerBI Dashboard Wireframing

Make a set of shapes for creation of PowerBI wireframes during requirements discussions

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make New Window button do what is does in other Office clients

Hi,

I am using Visio 2016 on a two monitor setup.

I clicked the View | New Window button, expecting it to work like it does in Excel and Word, and allow me to have the same file open in two windows; however, unless I am missing something, it only opens another window under the current one.

Am I missing something?

If not, this is pretty annoying and a bad UI decision.

Thanks

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow gridlines to be visible when background color is changed

My coworkers and I create Visio drawings with white lines to be used on dark PPT slides. To draw everything in white, we require a colored background for relief. We also need to see the Visio gridlines as we draw.

In former versions of Visio, it was possible to change the color of the background canvas, and with that change, the grid lines were still visible in front of (or on top of) the color.

In Visio 2016, changing the background color creates a shape that sits on top of the background, obscuring the gridlines. Now the only alternative is…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add the ability to use Equation Editor in text boxes

As a computer science student, I use Visio for a lot of math related graphing. Probability flowcharts, algorithms, etc. The inability to use math equations and symbols like I can in all other Office apps is a serious step back for me, and I'd love to be able to use math equations in textboxes.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. show all pages side-by-side

The bottom of the Visio window has page tabs and the single drawing page that shows up in the main portion of the Visio window is limited to a single selected page/tab. I would like the main portion of the Visio window to have the option to show ALL pages side-by-side at the same time. The page tabs at the bottom could then be used to navigate to a single page view. Please consider adding a multiple-page view. Thank you.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  UI and look & feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Offer Visio 365 as a non-commercial add-on to Office 365 Home and Personal

Offer Visio 365 as a non-commercial add-on to Office 365 Home and Personal. Many non-commercial users will enjoy using Visio for school projects, home business presentations, and personal planning.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Visio Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. C2R Installs should support MAK key

The C2R installation should support MAK license activation

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Can I present my Visio flowchart one block at a time - such as powerpoint does with addign animations?

Presenting flowcharts to others one block at a time would allow the team to focus on each block.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flowcharts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base